What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Foreign object found in engine compartement

magiccarpet

Well Known Member
Patron
Today, while doing the annual maintenance, I found this object right under the upper ignition cable of cyl. 4.
I noticed this part when I pulled the socket of the ignition cable from the spark plug.
To me it looks like a rubber sleeve which perfectly fits over the NGK spark plug but I have never came accross it and to my best understanding it also didn't fall off anywhere while pulling the socket.
My A&P said that he has never seen this part in a Rotax 912 installation.
I am more than surprised and also a bit anxious. The part does not show any kind of wear or environmental exposure. And it seems that it does not belong to the cable socket.
My hope is that someone here can enlight me what this object could be.
Thanks a lot

Last edited:
I thought Mitch was describing the insert on the spark plug removal socket (the tool) being described, not from a plug wire.

Good point
I have never seen an insert that could come out of the plug wire cap but I am unfamiliar with the new style cap so assumed it might be from one of those.

Sorry, yes I was talking about the spark plug socket TOOL. Most of them have a rubber insert to hold the spark plug for removal.

Same guess

I think it's the rubber insert from the spark plug socket. I had the same thing happen.

Same guess.

second guess: out of a shirt pocket while bent over into the engine space.

third guess: gremlins.

Daddyman

Reason found

Thanks a lot for all your infos. Indeed it was the insert of the tool socket. I didn‘t even noticed that there was a rubber insert in that socket.
It slipped out when removing the socket from the plug.
Bad bad guy kept me puzzeling quite a lot.
This community once more is simply great!

Back