What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gulf Shores / Jack Edwards Airport

B Cunningham

Well Known Member
Im planning a little RV7 getaway with my wife. Looking at Gulf Shores, Perdido Beach area for the March 5 weekend. Does anyone have any info on JKA Airport, or a better alternative? Perhaps someone has some hangar room nearby for that weekend?

Great airport. The drive to Perdido is super easy, Gulf Shores is not bad itself and there is a lot to do. Make sure to hit the Florabama.

Make sure to keep your eyes open around there. Pensacola and Whiting field house two huge Navy training commands, and there is a LOT of T-34, T-6, T-39, T-45, and helo traffic over that entire area.

Oh yeah... if you're there on Sunday land at Fairhope (just north) and have the Grand Marriott send out the shuttle to pick you up. They do a Sunday brunch on the water that is absolutely killer. Or drive up from Gulf Shores.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/ptlal-grand-hotel-marriott-resort-golf-club-and-spa/

You can also go into Mobile downtown and catch a ride to the USS Alabama, and poke around the park there. Great fishing charters out of Orange Beach in Gulf Shores too. If you drive over to Pensacola NAS (about 25 minutes from Perdido) you can visit the Naval Aviation History Museum. They have a great IMAX theater.

Last edited:
To Sig's point, if flying VFR then use Pensacola Approach thru-out your transition of the PNS area. Most of the Navy traffic is out of Whiting (fixed and helo) and routinely works with PNS Approach when transiting areas not already allowed them.

Jack

Thanks for the Pirep guys. I have a bit of T-34 time from that neck of the woods, buts its been years. Sounds like fun!

Often overlooked are the fortifications at the mouth of Mobile Bay. Highly recommended if you have any interest in American history.

Fort Morgan (east side) is larger and has an excellent museum. It is a short and pleasant drive from Gulf Shores. Fort Gaines is on Dauphin Island and also has some fine displays. Although Morgan was in use as late as WWII, both are best known for their role during The War of Northern Aggression ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Mobile_Bay#Passing_the_forts

both are best known for their role during The War of Northern Aggression ;)
[/url]

:p

41SeLDFeQRL.jpg

Hangars

Ben,
I took delivery of my plane there and found they had open hangars for rent with no list. They might have one now for a nominal daily charge....?
Really enjoyed that field and the area in general. Great food too!

GULF SHORES

I VISITED THERE OVER THANKSGIVING, VERY NICE AIRPORT. BE SURE AND CHECK OUT THE FOOD AT BAHAMA BOB'S, ON THE SHORE DRIVE. DENNIS

LULU's

If you're landing at Gulf Shores, ya gotta go to Lulu's! It's about a 1/4 mile walk, a very short drive if you're getting a car. Four of us flew in to check it out a few years ago. The "Cheeseburger In Paradise" was great but the waitress gave us all funny looks when we ordered pink lemonade instead of a nice cold draft. ;)

Crystal Shores unit 605

We stay on the beach in Gulf Shores at the Crystal Shores condo unit 605. It is a Two bedroom unit in a newer high rise. Always have a great stay. Owned by a VAF member / RV12 builder (me). Email info at: [email protected] or call my wife (the real owner) Karen: 850 479 2591

Regards, Dave

Last edited:
Opening up an old thread...for new intel

I will be spending some time in the Gulf Shores / Pensacola area in Early June ? and was wondering if there are any ?don?t miss? opportunities that I need to see/do/try/eat while I am in the area?

The Naval Aviation museum is temporarily closed due to COVID but it looks like I can still catch the Blue Angels practice while I am there. I will be snorkeling if the water is good and clear and will be looking for some other things to do, of course. If I am not at the airport, beach or restaurant, where else should I be?

Any RV-8?s builders in the area I can come look at your electrical work or Firewall Forward setup? :D Thanks for the intel!

Go fishing!

Red snapper season opens up in early June 11-25!! Eglin armament museum should be open, at least the outdoor exhibits will be. You can come visit Baker Sky Park (18FD) and talk RV8 with me😀

Send PM!!

Cecil

We fly down to JKA all the time to eat at Lulu's (about a block off the field).

Let me know if you want to meet up with a bunch of questionable characters (with RVs) from EET!

Absolutely!

Of course I would like to meet some "questionable characters" with RV's - isn't that the best kind! :D PM sent!

Lookin for Hangar near Jack Edwards or Foley, AL

My wife and I have moved to Gulf Sores, AL and expect to be here most of the year with occasional trips back to Wisconsin. We have a hangar at La Crosse, WI (LSE) but would like to get one or rent one in the Gulf Shores, Foley Alabama area.

I?m currently in Gulf Shores keeping my RV-6A in the common hangar at Gulf Air at Jack Edwards for a hefty, hefty sum $$$. I would like to find a hangar that would probably be full time, but I?d pay for space for the next two weeks if it was available.

I appreciate any suggestions or offers.
Thanks,
Pat Moran
(619) 994-3542

Back