What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Insurance - annual strategies.

flyboy1963

Well Known Member
Ok, I'm not the first to think spring is coming; I need to renew my medical this year, and it's waaaaaaaaay to late to lose 10 lbs....but the insurance companies like to see that you've flown X hours a year, and Y in the last 90 days, plus done some recurrency or safety course etc.
So if it's 2 or 3 months to renewal, and I send out inquiries for quotes, how do I state my hours, without it looking bad, but being honest, and still get the best rate?
i1myvl.jpg
[/IMG]

Obviously I'm not going flying on THIS day, but I do intend to before my insurance is due.

what are you guys doing? Should I move my insurance 'term' anniversary to November?

I don?t know about Canadian insurance but not all US based insurance companies care if you?ve flown in the last 90 days or even the last 12 months. I know this particular question is on our application but it?s only because some of the carriers request it. There isn?t any reason to postpone applying for renewal quotes. Your insurance broker should be able to answer your specific questions about this. As for US based insurance this is not a deal breaker. ~Shanna Linton @ NationAir Aviation Insurance.

Last edited:
Fudge (lie) about your hours on your application and you will most likely have a claim denied should you have to file one. Filing a claim requires photo copies of certain list of log book entries along with current medical and endorsements to verify you are current and legal.

Have you completed any enrichment training?

Down here in the USA we have FAA safety courses.

Its not a bad idea to attend course like that or online safety courses and send them into your insurance provider.

Also, if you feel your hours are low during this timeframe fly with an instructor and update your insurance company with that information.

Put your broker in a position to state your case to the insurer.

Good luck!

Have you completed any enrichment training?

Down here in the USA we have FAA safety courses.

Its not a bad idea to attend course like that or online safety courses and send them into your insurance provider.

Also, if you feel your hours are low during this timeframe fly with an instructor and update your insurance company with that information.

Put your broker in a position to state your case to the insurer.

Good luck!

Funny you mention this, I just did 20 online safety courses online with AOPA through the FAA WINGS program. Take a fun course, take a test, electronic cert sent to FAA and print a cert for the ins. There are discounts for doing this stuff.

Simple answer: you state your hours as requested to as many suppliers as you can, and you choose the best rate from the quotes you get. Stretching the truth is a great way to ensure your insurance isn't valid when you need it.

FWIW, I returned to Marsh insurance this year for the best rate...

Liability only

If your personal risk profile allows it, buy liability only through COPA - there is no qualifying required. Fly a few hours this spring and then you will have some currency to report.

Back