What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

After 36 years, the end of an era

colojo

Well Known Member
At long last I’m retiring my wings. It’s been a fantastic journey, but it’s time for the next chapter.

I sold my beautiful RV-8 to my friend in the hangar next door. He’s had his eye on it for a while and is now its very happy new owner.

It’s actually the end of two eras: My wife and I are moving to Mexico at the end of the month. I love my country but no longer recognize it. Off to greener pastures. We have a condo in Puerto Vallarta for winters and a beautiful house in San Miguel de Allende for summers. Our son has also moved to Puerto Vallarta, where he is opening a restaurant.

Thank you all for your friendship and camaraderie over the years. I’ve really enjoyed my time as a pilot, and I wish you all nothing but happy landings.

Cheers!

Thank you all for your friendship and camaraderie over the years. I’ve really enjoyed my time as a pilot, and I wish you all nothing but happy landings.
Thanks Joe - enjoy the retirement! All the best.

Joe,

You’re RV-8 reminds me of one I became interested in buying out of the northwest several years ago. I Didn’t act quickly enough and missed that deal. Fortunately I found one to my liking. Glad to hear your beautiful 8 is in trusted hands.

Best wishes to you and your family in your next chapter.

At long last I’m retiring my wings. It’s been a fantastic journey, but it’s time for the next chapter.

I sold my beautiful RV-8 to my friend in the hangar next door. He’s had his eye on it for a while and is now its very happy new owner.

It’s actually the end of two eras: My wife and I are moving to Mexico at the end of the month. I love my country but no longer recognize it. Off to greener pastures. We have a condo in Puerto Vallarta for winters and a beautiful house in San Miguel de Allende for summers. Our son has also moved to Puerto Vallarta, where he is opening a restaurant.

Cheers!

Mostly near the border, from what I hear from the people that should know. Once you get a couple hundred miles south it's mostly good.
Yup, mainly concentrated along the Mexico/US border. Away from that it drops real fast. BTDT

;)

So, you can renounce your US Citizenship, become a Mexican citizen! Then cross the border illegally into the US, and live off the "freebies!".

g.

You were a great hanger mate my friend. Always happy to go flying with you. Thanks for showing me the SF bay tour.

Disfruta Mexico!

Mexico is a wonderful place with beautiful people. We have spent tons of time in Mexico and have always been treated like royalty.
You'll love it down there. Depending where you are the services can vary but most areas with a high population of Americans have more than adequate medical care.
We have never bothered with insurance as it's really not that expensive to just write the cheque. You'll have lots of American company....Cheers, R :)

So what are the options for private aviation in Mexico? Outside the cartel, I mean...

The idea of picking up all my toys and all my dollars and heading south is pretty appealing, actually.

Last edited:
So what are the options for private aviation in Mexico? Outside the cartel, I mean...

The idea of picking up all my toys and all my dollars and heading south is pretty appealing, actually.

With some research I think you can find some pretty nice central/south central MX (or other Central America) communities with the number of US expats living there on the quickly growing up-trend. Might be the ticket to early retirement!

With some research I think you can find some pretty nice central/south central MX (or other Central America) communities with the number of US expats living there on the quickly growing up-trend. Might be the ticket to early retirement!
Agree. Talk to other expats to get the real story of what it's like in their area, the good and bad. Don't listen to those that are clueless about what is really happening there. You know, those that make comments based on political bias.

;)

Back