What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

getting the tire off the wheel?

prkaye

Well Known Member
Any tips for getting the main tires off the wheels? I'm having a real difficulty trying to pull the wheel halves out of the tire!!

From my buddy Tom "Redtail" Prokop: Pour a little 'bead' of 100LL around the rim and let it sit for a minute or so...works great :D Rosie

hmmm... good thought but I brought the wheels home to work on and no 100LL in sight. I wonder if regular gas or WD40 would work as well

Imagine the loads placed on the tire while making a sharp fast turn...it would try to roll the tire off the rim, right? Well *don't* try and take it off that way! Not even by standing on a 2x4 piece of wood to try and force it off. The tires have been designed to stay on the in the situations above.

Now imagine pushing the most inner part of the tire towards the middle of the rim. Use a non-marring tool (probably not a screw driver) and put it between the tire and the rim, then apply force so that it moves the tire inward. It won't take much effort at all.

In the end, this is a matter of applying little force in the correct spot, not getting a bigger hammer to force it off.

Best,
-Jim

Any tips for getting the main tires off the wheels? I'm having a real difficulty trying to pull the wheel halves out of the tire!!

I bought this tool several months ago and have used it a couple of times. It works very nicely....wish I had it years ago. It would have saved me from standing on the tire to pop it loose from the wheel. :)

http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcycle-bead-breaker-98875.html

image_12595.jpg

I place the tire differently from the photo so the curve in the tool will line up with the outside edge of the wheel.

Last edited:
Dang it, Sam. If I had seen that about 6 months ago I could have saved about $100. I bought this one from ACS:

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/tirebeadbreaker.php?clickkey=26215

It works great on 500 x 5 tires, but the little 11.400 x 5 nosewheel tires I'm running as mains on my Midget Mustang are still a bugger. It takes holding your tongue just right and a certain combination of muttered cuss words to get the job done. I may try the 100LL suggestion. It's almost like sprinkling Holy Water, right?

Last condition inspection I had to reverse my tires. All we did was to remove the valve stem and then dismantle the rims. It all just came apart. Never thought to expect it should be challenging :cool:

I always just stood on them too, no big deal. Talked all kinds of trash about no need for tools and other tricks, "...just the MK1 foot!". Then I lost a bunch of weight, and guess what, spent some seriously unpleasant time jumping up and down on tires to no avail. Had to revert to the good 'ol days when I was twelve and could single handed break the bead on a whole car or motorcylcle tire on a back road with nothing but a 2x8 and another car :).
I'm going to have to try the 100LL trick too. I never thought of trying to make it easier without having to exert any force.

From my buddy Tom "Redtail" Prokop: Pour a little 'bead' of 100LL around the rim and let it sit for a minute or so...works great :D Rosie

A little 100LL and the bead breaker should make it real easy. Thanks for the tip Rosie.

Combination of WD40 around the rim and this suggestion above worked like a charm. Thanks!

Be sure to clean all of the WD40 off of the rim. The rubber tire needs to grip the rim, or it will slip when you apply the brakes.

Wish I could take credit for this, but I "borrowed" it from Jerry Scott!
As with most things RV, great ideas are just passed on.

i use an old tire iron from my dirt bike days. small and effective. no harmfull chemicals, just strong pects. :confused:

You gotta be REALLY careful using tools like this on aluminum or magnesium wheels which can be easily damaged. Gouges, scratches, dings etc. are forbidden on aircraft wheels.

Genius! Tanya says, yeah, "Vlad is a skinny little dude too." :). Love it. Vlad, we use you as a punch line for plenty of jokes when someone asks us why we're replacing "perfectly good tires". We say that we ship them to a Russian that uses them up for good. Beware for a large shipment of tires that could keep you flying for years. (not really). We don't burn them down that low :).

Back