What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Echelon Right

RV8iator

Well Known Member
Benefactor
I have a bunch of photo's of formation flying, but every once in a while one really just jumps out as being a great photo and telling a story.

Our good friend and a great photographer, Dean Wingard, from Augusta, GA. went up with us last year at the Boshears Skyfest for some air to air. He got some great shots of our large formations and then we broke off into 4 ships for some acro. Some of you may have seen some of those on his Facebook Page.

This one was on initial back into Daniel Field just before the break. Dean was in Kahuna's plane and caught us in just about a perfect echelon right formation. It's one of those moments in time where everything was just right.

Stripes, Smokey and RB look like they are out for a morning stroll.. What a great memory.

8369322064_686ce9551b_b.jpg

Calander 2014

Awesome picture, I would say that could make the cut for the next calendar, send it to Van's

Jaw dropping, the sun reflects in exactly the same position of each canopy

Stripes
TeamAeroDynamix.com

Hey Widget, look at the camera...! :rolleyes:

Awesome shot! Send me the Hi-res version for the calendar pool...

Yea right...

That pic is photoshop'd! There's no way anyone is that good...oh, wait, that's Team AeroDynamix. Everyone else that is how you do right echelon.

Nice pic! Great formation!

Last edited:
Very nice

Well done boys. I think it takes some formation expierence to really appreciate that photo.....

I tell students, you will occasionally pass through the correct position but your never there. With the camera man snapping some 30 frames per second with a gyro stabilizer, its just a matter of time before everyone is eventually "in":D

I remember our photographer Dean screaming from the back seat on this run into initial. 'Lower your wing. Forward forward! No back! No forward. Stop crabbing. Lower that wing!" and the beat goes on. He is not a pilot. But he knows what he needs. He was so excited. He knew there was a good shot in there. I have never met a photographer who loves his work more than Dean. What a great photo of a great team.

A question for you -8 guys....

I have a -4 so I don't have a roll bar. I notice that #2 and #3 are noticeable leaned back to see their man. Do you notice that in flight or does your brain disregard it?

Another question...curious, what range is the photo-ship from the four-ship? Thx, Jim
About 3 ships on average. Photographer barks position, I listen. We move around a lot.

A question for you -8 guys....

I have a -4 so I don't have a roll bar. I notice that #2 and #3 are noticeable leaned back to see their man. Do you notice that in flight or does your brain disregard it?

You notice. Your brain tries. But you notice

Back