What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Troubleshooting a rivet gun.

RandyAB

Well Known Member
Help would be appreciated in troubleshooting a rivet gun.

I have a Taylor 3x rivet gun that I purchased 6 months ago from Cleaveland Tools but just started using in earnest over the past week. It suddenly stopped working. When I pull the trigger I'm just getting a hiss of air. If I take pressure off the set and crank the pressure up it will cycle but I can't get any impact with pressure on. I tried filling up with oil and squirting WD40 down the barrel with no success. Any thoughts??

I've got a gun that does that periodically. Never been able to determine beyond doubt what's causing it. I did discover that orientation of the gun made a difference (nose up/down). I suspect that the problem is related to the rivet set in use; specifically the length of the end that goes into the gun.

Charlie

To me it sounds like the piston inside is stuck. Try pushing it back with a dowel. If that doesnt work I dont know what to do.

The design is pretty generic and dates back to before WWII.

Try disassembling it and cleaning the internal parts. These two pics should help -

13_6_2.jpg

CP717_(T020120)_WW_1.gif

The design is pretty generic and dates back to before WWII.

Try disassembling it and cleaning the internal parts. These two pics should help -

13_6_2.jpg

CP717_(T020120)_WW_1.gif

Thanks Gil. That's what I was looking for. In this case, google wasn't much help.

Something happens to my rivet gun when it's not pressed against something when I pull the trigger. Similar symptoms of just hissing air. My fix is insert a rivet set and jam the set hard against my wood work bench. Like I'm trying to force the set into the barrel of the gun. Not sure what the problem is and what it's fixing but it's worked for years. Kinda' caveman but it works.

Sounds like the gun is almost new, have you called Cleaveland? I'd definitely start there and see what they'd do before I started taking things apart-

+1 for Gil's post. They are pretty simple devices. Just disassemble it and clean out the ports with a solvent, then reoil. Had to do that to mine once. Worked great since.

After whacking the back with a soft mallet and pouring WD40 down the shoot it started working again. We will see how it does. Riveted the elevators today and things seem to be working as they should.

Sounds like the gun is almost new, have you called Cleaveland? I'd definitely start there and see what they'd do before I started taking things apart-

I emailed Mike and to his great credit I got a reply immediately. He offered to accept it back for service if the whacking and the cleaning didn't work.

The problem is that I need my gun. At this stage, the work stops if I don't have one. Plus, the surgeon in me says, "ahhhh, how hard could it be?". :D

Mine would do the same thing every now and then. The first time I sent it back for repair, but after that I would just drip some solvent into the air nozzle, shake it around some, let any excess solvent drain and then reconnect the air. This was what Cleaveland suggested and it always worked.

Mine would do the same thing every now and then. The first time I sent it back for repair, but after that I would just drip some solvent into the air nozzle, shake it around some, let any excess solvent drain and then reconnect the air. This was what Cleaveland suggested and it always worked.

Yes, I foresee this in the future.

Back