What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Reaming and deburring suggestions

CubedRoot

Well Known Member
Hey all,
I am looking at the thousands of pre-punched holes in my new wing kit, and considering spending some money in time savings if possible.

I recall that reamers can be safely used to match drill any prepunched holes (like skins to skeleton) without the need to go back and deburr like we normally do when we use a #30/#40 standard drill bit.

Is this true? Can I simply get a reamer and use it on all these hundreds of pre-punched holes and save my wrists and time from the deburing process afterwards?

If so, are reamers sold in the normal #30 / #40 sizes? Any recommendations on which to get? There seems to be many different kinds.

Thanks!

I bought #30 and #40 reamers from The Yard Store, other places have them as well. I liked the reamers more than drills for reaming to final size, but I still deburred. I generally did that with a few passed with a Scotch-Brite pad, though, not the cutter. I've seen conflicting advice on deburring. Lots and lots of advice. Like most stuff I can find you at least one well respected repeat offender who says it's really not needed in most cases, and a few others who will swear you'll fall out of the sky if you miss a hole. OK, maybe a little exaggeration there but you get my drift.

I reamed most holes and then went over with a Scotchbright pad to debur. Also ran my finger over and any holes that still had a bur got debured. There were not many that needed more than the Scotchbright. Reamers are available in all sizes, look at Carr-McMasters for page after page of them.

Reamers

I bought #30 and #40 reamers from The Yard Store, other places have them as well. I liked the reamers more than drills for reaming to final size, but I still deburred. I generally did that with a few passed with a Scotch-Brite pad, though, not the cutter. I've seen conflicting advice on deburring. Lots and lots of advice. Like most stuff I can find you at least one well respected repeat offender who says it's really not needed in most cases, and a few others who will swear you'll fall out of the sky if you miss a hole. OK, maybe a little exaggeration there but you get my drift.

+1 what Dale said.
Reamers drill round holes with far less burr. I still deburred but only a light touch for a couple turns. I recommend #40, #30, #19, #12, 3/16", 1/4".

Scotch on a backing pad or 400 grit on a bucking bar with a couple of light passes de-burs just fine. Look with a 10x lupe and you will see that the holes are perfectly smooth.

Back