What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vans no longer offers the fuel pump doghouse, options?

carrollcw

Well Known Member
I need to install my andair valve, boost pumps, and fuel filters for my dual EFII injection system. Vans no longer stocks the "doghouse" to cover electric fuel pumps. What are my options? If you fabricated your own, do you have some pictures? I'm just not that creative!!!

Thanks!

Plans

Van's most likely still has the plan sheet for it. I got that then just fabbed my own. Easy squeezy. Very low cost.

Jerry

I don't have any options for you about making the doghouse but I can tell you that there is plenty of room left when you have an Andair pump to install your headset jacks there too and it works out great!

;). CJ

Call Vans. They told me they were redesigning the kit to work better with any fuel pump combo. Hoped to have it done by Jan. Also, if you search, you can still find some of the individual parts from the old kit.

Perhaps there is a creative sheet metal technician out there near Clark that can help.

There are quite a few place where guys with 'talents' can make some of these parts and market them to others. Had a discussion with Luke Doughton at Classic Aero the other day about the same thing.
Tom

I have one I installed during the build and then removed for a custom cup holder. It's yours for the cost of shipping if you want it. I'll take some photos and post them soon.

At this piont, we'll just wait for Vans new part since it sounds like they might have it any day. Until Mike's comment above about January, I was under the impression that it might be a lot longer. I made up some parts in Solidworks:

1598-lrg.jpg

This is the same as Vans, but 1" longer. We can't get the price low enough anyway unless we make quite a few of them which wouldn't make sense in this situation. It would be better to have a part from Vans anyway.

I understand that making the boxes is a trivial task to some builders. Many of our customers would like to have a pre-made box if they can get one though. Every builder looks at things a little differently.

Right now, we just want to take care of the customers that are wanting front carpets for their planes :).

As of a few weeks ago Van's still had the side panels available, just not the cover. I ordered the sides and plan to use them for measurements to fabricate the cover from sheet.

Back