What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Connector wrap?

nippaero

Well Known Member
What is the orange tape that Aircraft Spruce uses to protect the wire bundle as it exits the connector? I would like to get some.

tape.jpg

Probably Rescue Tape. You can find it from numerous places including ACS and probably also locally for much less money.

Pretty sure these are all variants of the same basic product - self fusing silicone tape. First time I discovered it, it was the Rescue Tape product. It?s now widely available under different labels.

I don't think the "rescue tape" meets a Mil spec like the one Rick linked to in post #4 which is what I use.
I know from using both they are not the same product.

Comparison

A data point...

I have used Bothe the ACS mil spec tape and rescue tape.

My observations:

They both self fuse.
The mil spec tape seems to fuse better, IMO. When trying removing it, it definitely seems to be one solid mass. When removing rescue tape, I have generally found some layers that stuck together but didn't quite fuse.

The rescue tape seems to be less pliable after fused...kind of like a soft plastic rather than the consistency of silicone rubber.

The rescue tape is definitely cheaper.

The mil spec tape bonds quite well to SCAT tubing; the rescue tape, not as well.

I have used both on my -10. I have been using the rescue tape for strain relief on wiring connectors. I have used the mil spec on the ends of my SCAT tubing to help prevent the wire from tearing the tube...it makes a really nice finished end.

Heat Shrink...

Just use a small piece of 3/8" - 1/2" heat-shrink tubing, folded over the wires.

The purpose of this material is to prevent chafing or other damage to the tefzel wire insulation as it passes under the strain relief clamp.

my $.02

if the tape was more of a honey / color, it could be "kapton" tape. kapton tape is "high temp. tape" used in electronics to keep circuit boards from touching. Kapton tape also come in a light butter color......
google it """kapton tape"
. good day / rick

connector source

Anyone know where to source the actual metal connector? I tried to find those airplane-quality D-Sub connectors a couple of months ago and failed.

Anyone know where to source the actual metal connector? I tried to find those airplane-quality D-Sub connectors a couple of months ago and failed.

If you're talking about the metal backshell that part is from Garmin.

Just ask Aircraft Spruce directly

Question: What is the orange tape that Aircraft Spruce uses to protect the wire bundle as it exits the connector? I would like to get some.

Did you try to ask them directly? If you would like to know what Aircraft Spruce uses, just call Aircraft Spruce. I can not see why they would not tell you.

Brian

This thread is like the Energizer bunny. It keeps going, and going, and going.

Someone said "Self Fusing Silicone Tape."

My comment: That is what the aerospace industry uses. (and what I use)

Most of the products listed in this thread all fall in the broad category of Self Fusing Silicone Tape. I, like most pilots, are frugal (a nice word for cheap) and desire to use the least expensive product that gives the longest life.

I would not hesitate to use any of the above referenced self fusing silicone tape products on any aircraft I work on or would fly in.

That looks like a Garmin part, but Positronics makes the best off-the-shelf D-sub backshells. Lots of options available with EMI and shield ground options. They are not cheap though. You could also buy a Garmin connector kit.
Check the accessories catalog:
https://www.connectpositronic.com/family/standard-density/

Back