What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pmag Ignition wire

A few days ago Dan H. Posted a link for a supplier of ignition wire and terminals

http://www.kingsbornewires.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1823

Using this source will allow me to make my wires custom length, but there are a few choices for the wire. Does anyone know which of the choices would be appropriate for pmags?

Thanks
erich

Summit Racing has a whole bunch of wire in bulk- you are looking for standard spiral wound suppression core stuff. I have used the 8 mm Summit brand with good success.

Summit Racing has a whole bunch of wire in bulk- you are looking for standard spiral wound suppression core stuff. I have used the 8 mm Summit brand with good success.

Mike, is that the same outside diameter as the stuff you get from P-mag? I ask because I would like to change my wires due to age and I have baffle penetrations that I would rather not change.

IIRC, the PMag branded wire is 7.5... I have samples of both out in the shop, so I'll get back to you in a few hours.

Ok, checked both out and my black PMag branded wire is the same external dimension as the blue Summit branded 8mm wire. Calipers show .305 for both. If you go with the Summit wire, stay away from the black 8.5mm stuff... The conductor core is very fragile and tricky to fabricate without damage.

The Taylor brand terminal ends are inexpensive and work well (for the spark plug end), as do the "no logo" MSD brand 90 degree boots.

Last edited:
Take a look at Magnecor. They will sell loose material, but will also build up custom wire sets to your spec. Very high quality stuff.

The installation guide from the p-mag website indicates the ignition leads should have 180 ohms/foot resistance. Most of the info for ignition leads at the Kingsborne and Summit Racing websites didn't indicate what the wire resistance values were; others said 500 ohm/ft. I could have researched it further but gave up and instead just got the pre-made leads from emagair along with extra terminals (no charge for extra terminals) so I can trim them down to correct length. If anyone has better info, let me know.

erich

The installation guide from the p-mag website indicates the ignition leads should have 180 ohms/foot resistance. Most of the info for ignition leads at the Kingsborne and Summit Racing websites didn't indicate what the wire resistance values were; others said 500 ohm/ft. I could have researched it further but gave up and instead just got the pre-made leads from emagair along with extra terminals (no charge for extra terminals) so I can trim them down to correct length. If anyone has better info, let me know.

erich

I thought the Pmag used the Ford EDIS coil. Nothing special here, any auto wire will work just fine if that's what he case

I had bought auto parts store wires and bought the correct terminals from Brad @ Emag.
The ones you show do look like the correct ones though. Unfortunately looks like you would need to order two packs of 6 since your would need eight.

ETCO DT-1000-HB

I had bought auto parts store wires and bought the correct terminals from Brad @ Emag.
The ones you show do look like the correct ones though. Unfortunately looks like you would need to order two packs of 6 since your would need eight.
Just to close this part of the thread out, I heard from emagair that this is an ETCO part DT-1000-HB. They have good information about these things on their website, for those that are interested.

https://www.etco.com/product-category/automotive-terminals/distributor-terminals/

Who would have thunk they made so many different distributor terminals.
Thanks,

Back