What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which PPG system

Barneybc12d

Well Known Member
My parts are prepped, booth and jigs built, ready to buy paint. I went to my local PPG store to discuss Deltron, DPLF-K36-DBC-Deltron Clear Coat to be determined. His recommendation was to use Omni primers and Shop-Line bc/cc. So this is a choice between what his body shop clients use on cars every day and what I will use once on this project that has possessed me for two years and counting.

Which PPG line did you use?

Thanks guys - I have searched this for weeks

I also used Concept on the airframe and I used the Omni line for some flat (not glossy) graphics work as a bc/cc on the baggage bulkhead.

Delfleet/Deltron

I used Delfleet FBCH basecoat with DCU2002 (Deltron) clearcoat. See post #15 in this thread for details about why I mixed two of their systems.
I can't specifically speak to quality, but in the PPG universe, the Shopline stuff is the lower cost "value" line and I believe that the Omni is just above that. No experience with either one. I did go with the "higher priced spread" though.

I have used single-stage Concept on several projects and it has always yielded excellent results even though I don't consider myself a painter. I suggest a single-stage paint unless you are dealing with one of these scenarios:

1) It is easier for the "non-painter" to achieve consistent results with metal flake colors with base/clear. Single stage metal flake isn't always consistent if you need to cut-n-buff to remove problems.

2) If your scheme involves masking multiple colors you can "hide" the color transitions better under a layer of clear coat. Otherwise there may be subtle transitions at the cut lines with a single-stage paint.

I was leaning toward bc/cc because it can be fixed by color sanding after a subpar job. Can Concept (non metallic) be cut and buffed (without effecting color) if enough is applied, just like clear coat?

I was leaning toward bc/cc because it can be fixed by color sanding after a subpar job. Can Concept (non metallic) be cut and buffed (without effecting color) if enough is applied, just like clear coat?

Single-stage Concept can he cut and buffed to a mirror finish. I told a local body shop owner that I used Concept single stage because this "non-painter" can correct mistakes, orange peel and dust nibs and he said, "that's why we use it too".

He also pointed out a problem they have with cutting and buffing Concept. The repainted areas will appear much better than the original, slightly orange peeled factory paint if they take cutting too far.

Last edited:
I like Concept. It comes in both single and 2 stage. I've found Concept to be much tougher than Deltron. I've got both on the exterior of my Navion and the Deltron isn't holding up. No problems with the Concept. I used 2 stage (bc/cc) on my instrument panel and it came out really nice. I will be using Concept exclusively for my RV. It's more expensive but is a case of you get what you pay for.

Concept cut and buff

I used single stage concept and was painting in a metal hangar in the winter so had temperature variations galore. The system has options for different temperature ranges and flash times which was very useful. I was however having problems with drips, runs and orange peel (whole airplane, not in pieces)
I posted on VAF for help and Dan Horton posted a complete guide on the cut and buff process which I followed, I do not have a show plane but I did end up with a decent looking paint job. You can look close and see some issues but overall the process works very well.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=60631&highlight=cut+buff

Back