What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Procuring an engine

ctennis

Well Known Member
I'm at a point in my RV-8 build where I need to figure out my engine and options and probably pull the trigger early next year on actually getting it.

I've heard/seen good things on here about Superior and Barrett. I called Superior, nobody picked up. I left a VM and also emailed their sales, with no responses.

I called Barrett a few days ago, and also left a VM. Have not gotten a response.

I recognize that I can be a little more persistent in my ability to get in touch with these companies, but it makes me nervous at the notion of dropping that much money and then running into silence issues on the backend with delivery date slips or support problems.

Is this just the norm and should I just keep calling?

Patience

Both of these are good companies so hang in there. I know Barrett is not a huge organization so if Rhonda is out it will go to voice. But hang in there Allan and Rhonda are good people and will treat you fairly.

Gary Specketer

My Barrett built Superior hasn't flown yet, but it sure is sexy sitting in the corner of the living room while I work out new shop space!

Contact

I had the same experience with vendors at Airventure recently. I won't say which companies but I was very suprised how they treat someone ready to plop down a huge chunk of money.

Superior was one of the most responsive.
Try David Godfrey. He replied to me [email protected]
I've decided to wait for Sun and Fun or Airventure.

Try again....

Hey Caleb......like Gary said try again....Rhonda told me yesterday that she will be going out for a medical procedure in a couple weeks....they are great folks....just trying to run their business and wearing several hats while getting bunches of emails every day....i am going with Barrett so I can have a sexy coffee table like Scott & Cookie:D

I called Superior about 3 weeks ago and they were really nice on the phone. I told them I was still in the dreaming and planning stages, but they gave me all the information and more that I asked for. I would just call back myself.

Keith

As a business person , I will make a new customer wait for a reply if I'm busy fixing a repeat customer and do not have the time for both. Nobody notices this practice but if you take care of the customers you already have you will always be busy.

Sorry for the "thread drift"..

.. but why is it better to go with a Builder/rebuilder than to just buy a new engine through Vans? Is this only for rebuilt engines, or are people choosing to have them build them a NEW engine?

New

Lycoming builds Lyco. Best price of the engines I looked at but it's cookie cutter. No options unless you go with the Thunderbolt line.
Superior builds new. You can customize lots of options.
Titan will do both new and rebuild. Almost any customization you want.
Barret will do both. Same on customization.

I drooled all over myself looking at those pieces of art at Airventure. Wish I could win a small lotto.

Last edited:
.. but why is it better to go with a Builder/rebuilder than to just buy a new engine through Vans? Is this only for rebuilt engines, or are people choosing to have them build them a NEW engine?

As one and only one data point, when I bought my BPE engine a few years ago I got a rebuilt and zero-timed engine for a few AMUs less then a brand new Lycoming from Van's. Plus the BPE motor had a few attention to detail type items the Lycoming straight out of the crate didn't. YMMV....

If you are happy with a stock Lycoming and a prop combo from Vans,it's the way to go price wise.However if you want a different prop or ignition or forward facing sump or high compression pistons you will need to talk to one of the Superior/ECI/Re builders that are active on VAF

I have a Superior engine built by aero sport power. It has 20 hours on it and I love it. They are in Canada so there is a small brokerage fee. I purchased the engine before the management change. That being said my communications with the staff has remained excellent.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I called Barrett again today and spoke with Rhonda and she was incredibly helpful, and got me everything I needed to know (and got me thinking about the dozen or so things I need to be deciding).

For the RV-10 and Rocket crowd, there's an interesting new IO-540 listing on Ebay today. Just the kind of engine that could be a steal or could be a boondoggle.

Here's the ad:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lycoming-IO...ash=item51da6bb1a2:g:UYsAAOSwT5tWJ9sx&vxp=mtr

I'd love to hear everyone's comments - not necessarily on this engine, but on what people consider deal breakers on used engines. Personally, I've bought enough pigs in pokes that "no logs" means "no buy" unless the price is crazy low.

Last edited:
I bought my IO-360 by Superior through Ameritech. They were very helpful in explaining the various options (fuel injection and ignition).

Lycoming engine choice's

Funny thing,Looking at this thread on the left of the screen is the list of VAF advertisers.If you click through the list you see most if not all the suppliers that support this site.Vans combo deal is tough to beat.It by far is the biggest chunk of the project to pay for,so weigh all your options,prop included as you will need one.As for used motors,a"new spec" rebuild will cost 20% less then new but will add considerable Time to your build. Time is more valuable then money IMHO.I rolled my own engine.It is a collage level education and added as many years to the project(topic for another thread). Build the plane you want but the fastest way is the well worn path.
RHill

Last edited:

We are talking about a brand new engine. Superior (and ECi) makes every part that goes in a Lycoming under a PMA authorization. Thus, their parts are legal to put in a certified airplane.

What the good people at Barrett do is buy all the components and assemble a brand new engine from parts. Nothing is rebuilt, unless you specifically ask for that.

They deliver a zero time engine, not an overhaul.

In my case, I bought an ECi kit (when they used to sell them) and a very knowledgeable IA and myself assembled it over the course of a weekend. It was a great learning experience and aver 400+ hours, it is still running strong with no leaks.

For the RV-10 and Rocket crowd, there's an interesting new IO-540 listing on Ebay today. Just the kind of engine that could be a steal or could be a boondoggle.

Here's the ad:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lycoming-IO...ash=item51da6bb1a2:g:UYsAAOSwT5tWJ9sx&vxp=mtr

I'd love to hear everyone's comments - not necessarily on this engine, but on what people consider deal breakers on used engines. Personally, I've bought enough pigs in pokes that "no logs" means "no buy" unless the price is crazy low.

I faced this exact situation when I was in the market for my own engine. I was so scared of buying a boat anchor based upon my ignorance of what constituted a good core vs a bad core that in the end I had Rhonda at BPE do it for me. Probably cost me a few more AMUs to have them do it but the peace of mind for me was priceless.

Zero time + dyno run in right?

For me, yes on my BPE engine - Zero timed and a hour long run on the dyno. But in my case is was a rebuild not a brand new motor.

So how can they zero time a rebuild you ask? Simple--they added a non-certificated FI system (AFP), replaced the data plate and voila what was a Lycoming IO-540 became a BPE IO-540-X with a BPE serial number and new log book.

You can get a ccustom engine from Lycoming Thunderbolt. I opted for the forward facing sump (Rod Bower ram air), EFI, elect. Ignition..... All set up by the great guys at Thunderbolt. First start was amazing! Very pleased!

You can get a custom engine from Lycoming Thunderbolt. I opted for the forward facing sump (Rod Bower ram air), EFI, elect. Ignition..... All set up by the great guys at Thunderbolt. First start was amazing! Very pleased!

Outstanding! Little if any time wasted, Dyno run & Factory log books fully custom engine.May I ask How Much $$,$$$.xx ?

Back