What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Jab 3300 with fuel in wings

joedallas

Well Known Member
Oren's RV 12 now has about 10 hours of flight time with the Jab 3300 and fuel tanks in the wings, all weight and balance problems worked out fine.
A few adjustments to the cooling ducts are in progress and we will report the performance when the numbers are all confirmed.
First Flight July 11

Test Pilot Andy Hostetler Reporting a rate of clime of about 1000' fpm Engine running very smooth and aircraft handling great.

Up date 09/15/12 total time 18 hours

oren_takeoff.jpg

Last edited:
Jab 3300 update

We now have approx 18 hrs on the jab 3300 rv12 . We are working on fine tuning the carb and cooling ducts. As of now we are seeing very good cooling with cht's of approx 300 (very good ) We are experimenting with the bing jetting for max performance and economy. Will update with speeds and climb rate when we get it fine tuned.
Oren

Oren's RV 12 now has about 10 hours of flight time with the Jab 3300 and fuel tanks in the wings, all weight and balance problems worked out fine.
A few adjustments to the cooling ducts are in progress and we will report the performance when the numbers are all confirmed.
First Flight July 11

Test Pilot Andy Hostetler Reporting a rate of clime of about 1000' fpm Engine running very smooth and aircraft handling great.

oren_takeoff.jpg

Joe and Oren,
Who did you use for your cowling build? That engine obviously requires special attention to the cooling needs.

Beautiful

Cowling is beautiful - really nice job. Certainly improves the looks of the RV-12.

I applaud the efforts to power the 12 by 'other' engines. Will be following this thread closely. Well done!:cool:

I noted the distance from the nose wheel to the prop. On the Viking, even with a 4 inch extension, we are still close to clipping the nose wheel with the prop.

jab 3300 cowling

I got the cowling from Jabiru USA.It is the same one used on there jab 2200 . 3300 just sets back further. Prop is at same location. With Joe's help I put the battery in the tail cone. Joe feel free to post the picture of the Battery mount. Oren

cooling

Pete in regards to the cooling.
I put the oil cooler on the oil pan and added the chin scoop.Oil cooling is perfect.
Head cooling is not a problem at all. All you do is follow Jabiru cooling duct instructions per Jabiru USA.
Oren

Pete in regards to the cooling.
I put the oil cooler on the oil pan and added the chin scoop.Oil cooling is perfect.
Head cooling is not a problem at all. All you do is follow Jabiru cooling duct instructions per Jabiru USA.
Oren

Oren. How fortunate that the Jab cowling fit the 12 firewall! Pete Krotje has certainly established himself as the world's expert on cooling the Jab...and is remarkably open about sharing what he knows. Good job Oren...you and Joe are true pioneers.

Pete Designed

Clarification

Oren got the cowling from Jabiru USA.It is the same one Pete designed for the jab 2200 RV 12.

The 3300 just sets back further

Oren. How fortunate that the Jab cowling fit the 12 firewall! Pete Krotje has certainly established himself as the world's expert on cooling the Jab...and is remarkably open about sharing what he knows. Good job Oren...you and Joe are true pioneers.

Last edited:
Oren's Jab 3300 RV-12

Folks,

Could someone (Oren? Joe?) provide me with the SN and tail number of Oren's Jab 3300 RV-12? I would like to add it to the RV-12 First Flights Photo Album.

I have Oren's name and date of first flight, and photo.

Thanks!

Don

Time for some details!

Oren, now that the cats out of the bag
Can you fill us in on some of the details. Like
How much does it weight? Whats your cruise speed
At 65% power as well as fuel burn etc.?;)

Joe and Oren,
Who did you use for your cowling build? That engine obviously requires special attention to the cooling needs.

There is nothing "special" required for the Jabiru, Peter, just follow the instructions. It's no different than a Lycoming in that if you screw up the baffles, it will run hot. If you block part of your radiator on your Rotax, that will run hot too, right? If you install a Jabiru engine correctly, it will treat you right. And it's really very easy for builders to set it up right. Pete's done all the hard work already during the past decade of building, flying and developing firewall-forward kits for nothing but Jabiru-powered airplanes.

Jab 3300

Katie you right about the Jab 2200.

The engine that Oren installed is the Jab 3300 and Pete will provide all the firewall forward items required for installation, however the engine requires firewall reinforcement in section 22 and 29.

Oren handled this very well in my opinion.

This is not a endorsement and should not copied thinking that it is totally safe.

I am working on section 22 now and taking from what Oren added I will make a few adjustments and add a little of my own design. ( work in progress )
This will add about 4 lbs to the aircraft.

This should not be tried by anyone without a engineering background ( and at your own risk )

We would like to move the engine back about 4" the carburetor and air intake are the problem.

There is nothing "special" required for the Jabiru, Peter, just follow the instructions. It's no different than a Lycoming in that if you screw up the baffles, it will run hot. If you block part of your radiator on your Rotax, that will run hot too, right? If you install a Jabiru engine correctly, it will treat you right. And it's really very easy for builders to set it up right. Pete's done all the hard work already during the past decade of building, flying and developing firewall-forward kits for nothing but Jabiru-powered airplanes.

update

We now have approx 32 hrs on the plane . Everything going very smooth. I will share performance data when we get it painted and fine tuned .Should have 40 hours on next week.
Oren

Waiting

I talked to Oren yesterday, His plane has over 40 hours and is now in the paint shop and should be out by Tuesday. After final weight and balance and some testing we will get the Results.

Last edited:
Out of the Paint Shop

Oren's RV12 Out of the Paint Shop

3300 Jabiru with Fuel in the Wings

Left to Right - Alex Heatwole - Oren Heatwole - Darrll Schrock the Painter

oren_11_2_12.jpg

Good Job Looks Good Oren

Last edited:
Nice work

Oren and all those involved in this plane development, build and finish. Thanks for taking the time, effort, expense, and risk, to try something different. Your plane looks great and I am anxious to hear more about how it flys. The gas in the wings sounds like a great change and I have always liked the Jabiru. When I considered a Kitfox, that is what I was going to use. Vans made a great platform for you to work with and you took it from there.

Best of luck with your plane and keep us all up to date with your new adventures.

Progress

Thanks! for the complements .I hope to have some data within the next couple of weeks. I am still adjusting prop carb etc. for max performance and economy.The plane appears to be very efficient.
I also am learning how to fly so it may take some xtra time. As of now the numbers look very good.
Thanks! Oren

As a new RV-12 builder I'd really like to see more about this and what went into it. Any updates? :D

3300 update

Sorry for not updating. Preliminary figures Approx 118 kts at 2850 rpm. 1000 fpm climb.I just soloed and will be installing the landing gear update end of December. Joe will you post a new picture and explain our stand on the fuel tanks?
Thanks! Oren

Accept the risk

oren_111.jpg

Shenandoah valley near dayton va
Oren's aircraft total time 100+ hrs

As others builders have stated fuel tanks in the wings in the RV12 have not been tested.
We will not use this forum to promote the use of wing tanks, This should only attempted by experimenters who will accept the risk of their design.
Vans design has worked fine and has many hours of field testing.
With this said, if you decided to put fuel tanks in your wings you can call Oren or I and we will brainstorm with any true experimenter.

Last edited:
Looks fantastic, Oren!

Ordered my Jabiru engine and FWF kit today! Can't hardly wait to get it!

Thanks to Katie, you, and Joe for the valuable Jabiru data thusfar.

Last edited:
oren_111.jpg

Shenandoah valley near dayton va
Oren's aircraft total time 100+ hrs

As others builders have stated fuel tanks in the wings in the RV12 have not been tested.
We will not use this forum to promote the use of wing tanks, This should only attempted by experimenters who will accept the risk of their design.
Vans design has worked fine and has many hours of field testing.
With this said, if you decided to put fuel tanks in your wings you can call Oren or I and we will brainstorm with any true experimenter.

Awesome work! Will the 3300 work with the fuel in the cabin as designed? I noticed that in the thread there appears to be some firewall strengthening required. Will that process be part of the FWF for non-engineers?

Thanks,

Bob

The firewall reinforcement is a problem for a FWF Kit.

Yes it will work with the stock fuel tank and will help with the weight and balance.

The battery in the back will harder to access.

The firewall reinforcement is a problem for a FWF Kit.

The design that oren and I are working on is not tested in all circumstances and is not recommended by us for anyone not taking the responsibly of the testing and the advancement of the design.

http://www.joesrv12.com/Builder Log/al_08_01.htm

Awesome work! Will the 3300 work with the fuel in the cabin as designed? I noticed that in the thread there appears to be some firewall strengthening required. Will that process be part of the FWF for non-engineers?

Thanks,

Bob

Last edited:
Back