What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

exhaust muffler warning

Status
Not open for further replies.

allbee

Well Known Member
First off I want to say that it hurts me to bash a supplier of parts. But in the interest of safety, I have to do this. I built my airplane with vetterman exhaust w/mufflers. Now at the moment I can't remember the cost of the mufflers, somewhere in the 500 to 800 dollar mark. Well if any of you remember I ran a thread that ran as: High egt on no. 1 and 2. In the last 3 weeks. I thought I found the problem with exhaust gaskets. Now it started out with 100degress hotter on egt with the peak on fuel setting going higher as well. Well my problem was irratic, would be there, than not. I went through everything a person could think of to find the problem. Than the problem got worse, now I have egt's over 1600 on 1 and 2(300more), 3 and 4 CHT's would go through the roof up to 420. egt on 3 and 4 just fine. CHT's on 1 and 2 ok, egt's through the roof. I also found that 1 and 2 were running real rich.

I went and did a pressure test and all cylenders were 76to78/80. I dialed the cam all fine. I pulled the rockers off the exhaust and found wobble up to .08 on all stems. I call bart and he says that that's pretty normal, that he has seen way worse and not cause a problem with high egt's. He says restriction in exhaust or timing. well can't have a problem with two systems on electronics. I go back to the hangar and just look at the engine. Than I follow the exhaust off the no1 it goes to no2 and than out the muffler. I say, you idiot, you dumm dumm. I huridly pull of the exhaust off the front of the muffler and look inside with my trusty light. OH MY GOD. Is all I could say. All the guts of this muffler is pushed to the back of the muffler and cut off the exit.:(

I call Larry. He says, get this, I've never seen this happen before, they usually brake apart and go out the end. Well I thought you bet, whatever, problem like this does happen to me. He tells me that I need to get the latest update done on my mufflers, call the place in CAL that does them for me. In fact just send them to him. I call this guy down in KALIFORNIA and he says the same thing, we never have had an exhaust plug up, they brake up and go out the back. Send them to me and we'll fix you right up, and OH these are normal wear items and it will cost 150 each to fit them with the new stuff. WHAT???? I just put this airplane in operation not even 2 years ago. I may have 460hrs but it's NOT my fault. I say ok.

I take my mufflers off and go back to the shop. I look inside and all the pieces on the left muffler are floating around inside, that would account for it happening one time and not the next. I knock the muffler on the floor and get the offending piece flat disc to the opening in front, no way this thing is comming out. So I fire up the cutting torch and cut it in two. I pull this out, than I get to the tube inside which is like a swiss cheese thing. I possision it and gut it with the torch. Fine and dandy I now have an expensive straight pipe.

I grab the still good muffler and there is no way to gut this thing out so I leave it. Now I have this thought, KISS(keep it simple stuppid) I no longer want mufflers, updated or not. Plus 300 on top of what I've paid already, I'm a little ticked to say the least. Not only that, I put myself on the line flying this thing with a plugged exhaust. It flew and if it wasn't for the Dynon ems I wouldn't have know it had a problem.

Anyway I put the mufflers back on the plane and flew it, wooohooo, what a difference, in fact it has never reached the speeds that I got and I still have the right side with an acting muffler. I guess I'll just have to go buy a straight pipe and replace it. Cuss, KISS is going through my mind at this point. The money originally spend, well safety is going to have to be paramount in this one I guess.

My advise to anyone running mufflers. Make your own AD and check these thing either every annual or 100hrs. What to check for, well cracks in the insides and make sure they look good. Mine rusted out and broke apart in big pieces. Good luck with your mufflers is all I can say.

Was the design changed at some point with an update? I have a new Vetterman setup with dual mufflers. It is about 4 months old and haven't done the first engine start yet but soon. Just curious.

Calm down. The guts have been coming out of airplane mufflers since there have been airplane mufflers. I've seen empty muffler cans on EVERY spam can on the market. Inspecting the insides of mufflers has been on the Annual checklist for every airplane forever. Unlike a car, these things are close to the heat source and really get stressed. The quality on Larry's exhaust systems meets or beats every "factory" system I've ever seen. Sorry yours came apart but please, calm down a bit.
BTW, didn't Mike S. and I both recently post to check for exhaust "potatos"?

Yep, but in a different thread, not in the one he posted.

I just re-read your thread about high EGT issued, and you mentioned you found the problem as being intake gaskets.

The high temps caused by the intake gasket issue could very well have caused the damage to the muffler guts.

And like was mentioned above, aircraft muffler guts failure is common. I had it happen to my Stinson a couple times.

Was the design changed at some point with an update? I have a new Vetterman setup with dual mufflers. It is about 4 months old and haven't done the first engine start yet but soon. Just curious.

I was told that they made a change to a cone type. Still I'm not one to want to go through this again.

Mike,
Like I mentioned, this was intermittant and everytime I tried a fix it would clear on the next flight, than take another flight and it would come back.

I'm new to flying and owning airplanes so any thoughts on inspecting mufflers are NOT in this kids brain at all. I hope this warning helps people with mufflers in the future.

About half of the 182's flying out there have their flame cones missing from the muffler. Usually once they are gone you quit taking the muffler apart on Annuals and just shine a light up the tailpipe. Then you can say "yup still missing". You still need to pull the heat shroud and check the can's integrity. That's the big one because of CO leakage into the cabin. We're usually looking for the "Ballpark Frank Syndrome" i.e. "They plump when you cook 'em".

So, you're knocking out the inside of your mufflers so they don't work as mufflers anymore. That means you're carrying around a lot of extra weight that does nothing and probably adds extra back-pressure. So you really don't care how much noise your plane makes now, so let me make a suggestion. You can install short individual stacks on each cylinder exhausting through the sides of the cowling, and they can be arranged to actually do some augmentation if the exhaust actually helps pump cooling air out the side, too.
For those who are of the so-called "tuned exhaust" school of thought, let me quote the Bible on engines.
C.F. Taylor, Volume 1, page 201. "At a given speed, the length of the exhaust pipe can have an appreciable effect on px in eq 6-13 because of its influence on intensity of exhaust-pipe pressure waves, and their timing in relation to top center. However, in practice, it is found that the effect of changing exhaust-pipe length is usually small because the effect of changes in px on volumetric efficiency is slight."
Volume 2, page 400. "Reference10.801, p.48, states that the use of individual eexhaust pipes developed for racing purposes can increase volumetric efficiency by 5 to 7 per cent."
Proper design of the pipe, using impedance-matching formulae, can result in more power, and if used as augmenters, decrease drag, both of which will make you go faster!

let me put something out here. I like to fly, I would like to be quiet as well. But after this experience, forget the quiet. When the big problem happened, apparently when the muffler plugged closed, the engine went from running not so bad to real bad real quick, lose of power overheating, you name it. All the inspections at anual are pretty much worthless when things let go. So my thoughts are more safety than anything else. Yes extra weight, so straight pipes are on the plan. But I have some nice speed and there may be extra weight, but hay! I been flying with that weight for 460 hrs now and use to it, so again, who cares at this point. I got my baby back and better than ever. Today I was getting 168kts tru airspeed at 1000 ft off and 50 rich of peak. top temps on the cht was 300 and on climb out 360. egt's were 1330. way back to normal. Again I state that if it weren't for the dynon ems I would have probably taken it on a trip 2000miles from home and had the problem come up and been completely screwed. Glad I found the problem.

ya I know, let me see what happens when I get that right side opened up on the exhaust. I don't want to drop the nose, like the front view and landing in high cross winds to much, sorry. although I do like flying my other plane which is a tail wheel, I like the rv the way it is.

All the inspections at anual are pretty much worthless when things let go.

This is why we do inspections, hopefully we can catch something before it fails or while it is begining to fail.
I have known Larry long before everyone came to know him as the exhaust guy. And I know him well enough to know that if you would have called him back after not getting satisfaction with his supplier in "Kalifornia" he would have worked to make it right for you somehow. He is a first class guy and wouldnt want this kind of publicity.
I personally wouldnt want a muffler on an experimental just because of the extra maintenance involved. If you look at many certified aircrafts AD list you will find problems with mufflers at sometime in the past. They just naturally have a hard time with heat and vibration, not a big surprise.
Ryan

Calm down. The guts have been coming out of airplane mufflers since there have been airplane mufflers. I've seen empty muffler cans on EVERY spam can on the market. Inspecting the insides of mufflers has been on the Annual checklist for every airplane forever. Unlike a car, these things are close to the heat source and really get stressed. The quality on Larry's exhaust systems meets or beats every "factory" system I've ever seen. Sorry yours came apart but please, calm down a bit.

Don't be so quick to dismiss this incident. Exhaust components are highly stressed and can fail. Ok. Inspecting them on annual is good advice. Ok. But there are failure modes and there are failure modes. If a muffler disintegrates, losing its innards overboard causing the noise level to go up, ok, no big deal. But if the design of the muffler is such that when it fails it can become blocked, that's a serious safety issue that should be addressed at the design level.

Personally I'd like to thank allbee for sharing his experience. It would certainly make me think twice about using this particular muffler, knowing that it can become blocked when it fails. And I would hope that the manufacturer would also take this seriously.

Last edited:
Help me understand why anyone would use a muffler. Is it just for noise reduction?

If so, that sounds good but the failure issue raised here may be far worse.

The really noisy planes I hear seem to be Cessna 182 type with perhaps large props. Not sure exactly what it is but it is probably prop noise...and the RVs are far quieter without mufflers.

Another option is reducing power consistent with flight safety at some point after lift-off.

Help me understand why anyone would use a muffler. Is it just for noise reduction?

If so, that sounds good but the failure issue raised here may be far worse.

The really noisy planes I hear seem to be Cessna 182 type with perhaps large props. Not sure exactly what it is but it is probably prop noise...and the RVs are far quieter without mufflers.

Another option is reducing power consistent with flight safety at some point after lift-off.

The bigger Cessnas, 182's, 206's, 210's, can get prop tips that reach or exceed super sonic depending on the condition of the prop gov and size of the prop. I've heard 210's on takeoff that were louder than the turbo jets on older Lear 23's.

Curious as well on the muffler issue. Does it quiet down the cabin at all?

Who needs mufflers anyway

My 7A didn't have mufflers and everyone said my plane sounded GREAT!!!!:D:D

Roberta

IIRC, either Vetterman, or Vans tested the mufflers for the RV10, not only quieter, but more power.

Did a bit of searching, but cant find the info-------hopefully someone else remembers this, and can provide a link.

Exhaust problems

Losing the flame cones is a common problem in all airplanes. It is possible for any of the cones to exit stage left or hang in the back of the can and partially obstruct the exhaust. While I don't have any specific knowledge regarding Vetterman exhaust or its construction, I doubt it is any different than any other well made exhaust. This is a good lesson in why it is important to inspect the exhaust frequently. In my experience, the flame cones often become distorted prior to exiting the plane. Like many mechanical devices, they usually give a warning prior to failure.

I've always figured that there are two types of exhausts; those that have been worked on recently and those that need worked on.

How loud is it in the cabin?

You're suppose to use ANR, or those stuff them in your ear...........headsets, and never worry about cabin noise. :D

Personally, living next to an airport, I really enjoy the sound of Lyc powered RV's...... with no mufflers. And good deep tone, and sound of speed. High revving "car" engines, just don't sound as good.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

From Larry Vetterman

...emailed to me and posted for him (he doesn't have an account). Closing the thread after submitting this, as it started as a complaint about a vendor, and now the vendor has replied. dr

I typically do not reply to posts on the web, but niether I nor my product has ever been bashed before either. So let me explain some exhausting things to set the record straight. I did tell Mr. Albee that we have never had a muffler fail and that we had changed from the rod and plate style ie. Cessna type, quite awhile ago and his set could be upgraded to the flame cone style. The flame cone style will typically not plug up the exit end of the mufflers like the plate style can. In fact we changed vendors for 2 reasons #1 we could get the flame cone style muffler. #2 It was my opinion and still is that their product is the best available. It was my goal for Mr. Albee to call the muffler vendor and get a price quote, call me back and let me know the price. I was willing to foot the bill on the upgrade as we want our customers to be happy with our product- that phone call never came. Is there a design problem as some of you suggest? No, we have mufflers out there with over 1000 hours. Are they different than other aircraft mufflers-No, do they need routine inspections- yes. In most cases, you can detect any potential problems by just simply inspecting them. We routinely get systems back in our shop that have many hours on them and the first thing we are told is: I have never thought about inspecting the exhaust or even reading the directions that came with them. So the bottom line is simple: Please inspect or have your system inspected. "Period"

Some of you are questioning why mufflers on the RV: The cabin heat difference in cold air, like anywhere up north here in the winter is exceptional. There is just alot more heat transfer area around the muffler can, vs a cabin heat muff. There are also countries in the RV world that require them for noise. We are lucky here in the US that those restrictions are not imposed on us, but that day is coming and probably sooner than you think.

I have mufflers on my 7A and I really like the extra heat and noise reduction with them. I originally had the M1B engine and I converted it to the vertical updraft style sump and did all the cowling mods just to fully test and run with mufflers. I would never go back, but that is my decision. Same reason they make Chevys and Fords, not everyone wants the same thing.

One last comment, please call me if you have any question about exhausts or maintaining them, we probably can give you some useful information.

Larry Vetterman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back