What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

18 wire connectors for grip

18! How many fingers do you have? :eek:

Are you running separate grounds or something?

A Dsub is usually a good choice.

PTT
IDENT
AP DISC/CWS
COMM SWAP
TRIM UP
TRIM DN
TRIM LEFT
TRIM RIGHT
TOGA
FLAP UP
FLAP DN
ENG START
SMOKE
BOOST PUMP
GND

...That's 15...

D sub will work, or you can find an equivalent CPC

So here's a question:

Whether you run the grip cable down through your stick or along the outside you eventually get to the bottom of the stick.

What have people done with the connector? Can't just let it hang. Do you fasten the connector to a piece of structure?

You want to allow freedom of movement but without chafing.

I'm mulling this issue over now and this seems like a good thread to discuss.

So here's a question:

Whether you run the grip cable down through your stick or along the outside you eventually get to the bottom of the stick.

What have people done with the connector? Can't just let it hang. Do you fasten the connector to a piece of structure?

You want to allow freedom of movement but without chafing.

I'm mulling this issue over now and this seems like a good thread to discuss.

I drilled a 3/8" hole about 2" above the bottom of the stick, installed a grommet, then routed the wires out the hole to an adel clamp creating a service loop of sorts that doesn't drag, flop around, or come into contact with anything.

Attachments

• DSCN0507.jpg
    DSCN0507.jpg
    389 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:
PTT
IDENT
AP DISC/CWS
COMM SWAP
TRIM UP
TRIM DN
TRIM LEFT
TRIM RIGHT
TOGA
FLAP UP
FLAP DN
ENG START
SMOKE
BOOST PUMP
GND

...That's 15...

D sub will work, or you can find an equivalent CPC

Are just listing those, or did you actually put all those on your stick?

Terminal Strip

I ran the wires out the bottom between the heim (ball) joints to a terminal strip. I am not flying yet, but I will let you know next hear how it works out.

UTRB

When I installed my Tosten military style grips I used d-sub pins because the wire gage is so small. I then put the d-sub pins into a d-sub pin connector and ran additional wires to a Pat Hatch UTRB (Ultimate Trim Relay Board) I installed under the copilot’s seat. The UTRB acts as a gateway for your stick functions and allows you to organize and centralize all your sick functions for both grips. It also prevents simultaneous trim inputs from one pilot canceling out the other pilot’s input. Only one trim input at a time is transmitted to the trim system. The UTRB allows for up to 25 d-sub pins including power and ground. When I lost aileron trim while installing my auto trim module, it made it easier to isolate the cause (broken d-sub pin connection).

The pilot grip actuate’s aileron/elevator trim, PTT, transponder Ident, comm 1 frequency swap, flaps, and autopilot disconnect.

The copilot grip actuate’s aileron/elevator trim, CPPTT, transponder Ident, comm 1 frequency swap, comm 1/comm 2 transmission swap, and autopilot disconnect.

I highly recommend when installing a multi switch grip you consider installing a trim control board.

Last edited:
Back