What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stewart Systems Ekopoxy - Ekoetch

kreidljj

Yesterday I sprayed the internal wing skins of my RV-14 using Stewart Ekopoxy. I was very happy with the paint. It sprayed easy, mixed easy, didn’t stink. I switched to this paint from Veriprime which I love, but I no longer want to accept spraying chromates.

I said that it doesn’t stink - but the wax and degreaser still does, and that is the purpose of this post. I talked to Stewart Systems about not using the Ekoetch process because I am painting at my hangar, without a water supply, and in winter it is hard to rinse off the parts outside (Wisconsin). So I scuffed the surface well with Scotchbrite (mechanical etching instead of the Ekoetch chemical etching), then wiped it down with wax and degreaser until the rag was clean before spraying. A few questions for the collective brain:

1) Has anyone used Ekoetch without rinsing, what did you do, did it work?
2) Does anyone know of a good water based wax and degreaser that doesn’t stink? (The Ekoclean also has some acid in it and asks for a water rinse)
3) Does anyone have a clever hangar sink that can be used with water hauled in from home?

Thanks all - Jason

I have gone to mechanical etching and I use solvents to clean. I use acetone to get mostly clean then use alcohol as a final while since that is what they recommend. Seems to be working so far.

I scuffed the surfaces with ScotchBrite brown pads, then used Stewart Systems degreaser (soap) rinse, then EcoEtch and rinse prior to EcoPrime.
Very happy user, as I primed in a small "booth" in a one car garage then a bigger booth in my hanger. Except for using a painter's mask, no need for ventilation since it's water based (and super easy to clean up afterwards).

Always rinse EcoEtch (don't inhale its fumes...) within 5 minutes of applying the acid (it's phosphoric acid). Otherwise it leave "stains" on the surface. I don't know if leaving the acid to dry is ok or not...
Apply the primer within 6 hours of etching.

I ferried the parts to my home and used the shower... ;-)

Good luck!!

Last edited:
The larger parts, I rinsed with a hose outside on the lawn, using EcoClean first and EcoEtch after. I used a maroon Scotchbrite pad with the EcoEtch and clean cloths to help remove the rinse water. Then I followed that with distilled water and more clean cloths to remove that. After an air dry, I could spray with EcoPoxy.

Later I had some parts that would fit in my bathtub so I did this there. In all cases, I did the spraying outside.

While this was at home, could you do this phase there and then move the parts to the hangar?

Dave

While this was at home, could you do this phase there and then move the parts to the hangar?

Dave

I scarred the parts, large or small, at the garage or hangar.
Then moved them home by batches depending on what I could spray later.
There, I washed, rinsed, etched, rinsed and let air dry.
Using nitril gloves, I then moved the parts back to the garage or hangar.
Before I applied the primer, I used compressed air to remove any water.

Garden sprayer costs about $10 and holds a couple gallons of water, should be plenty for rinsing parts off after etching.

For my distilled water rinse, following a tap water rinse, I used very little. A gallon container should last at least a couple work sessions.

Dave

Dave

Dave, I moved the parts from home to the hangar for priming and then back again. It might be an option, but I was really trying to limit handling of the cleaned parts and keep time between cleaning and priming ASAP. Might give that a shot next time. - Jason

Good Call

Garden sprayer costs about $10 and holds a couple gallons of water, should be plenty for rinsing parts off after etching.

Good idea Keye, I suppose I was picturing the need for a ton of rinse water, but it sounds like most are not using a ton of rinse water.

Perhaps this would help assess the need for water.

Every once in a while, I mop the hangar floor. It's about 1,900 square feet and it's divided in four segments. I buy four of those 2.5 gallon water jugs and use less than all four, every time. There's always nearly a full one left over. And I use soapy water for the wash and go over it with rinse water.

Sure makes a difference.

So more than likely, supplying water for the cleaning, won't be too hard.

Dave

Back