What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Updating paper pilot's license

So I am one of the thousands looking to get back into flying following a 10-year break. In that time, the FAA went to plastic licenses and my paper license may no longer be valid. Anyone familiar with how to get the plastic one?

Online process. Easy... might be a small fee, like $3.00
If your social security number is still on it.... then it will be free to change.
You will be issued a new certificate number.
Just google the site on the web.

I was in the same boat. At the same time I updated my license I changed the number away from my SSN. Nothing makes one feel old like realizing that my original license (PPL 1982, Instrument rating 1991) were done in an era before identity theft. New ones have cool pictures too..

Almost hesitant to say it... but don't let those old log books fall into the wrong hands. An abundance of numbers in there...

Almost hesitant to say it... but don't let those old log books fall into the wrong hands. An abundance of numbers in there...

Thanks for all the replies and glad it seems so straightforward. Anything unusual and I'll report back.

I scanned and copied my log book several years ago in case I lost it . . . Now need to find the scanned copies on the computer!

Switching to the new PPL changes the date issued. I went from 1978, oh my, to 2008. Not a big deal, but I wish it still had the original issue date.

Can you do an address change online yet? My US license was issued based on my Canadian license, and i've moved since I got it. I tried changing the license online once and was told I couldn't, nor could I do it by phone when I tried. I'm not generally near an FSDO when i'm in the US, so changing it in person is extremely difficult. Any other options? Will they do it by mail?

Don't know about the online address change for Cannucks.
I do remember being quite resentful.... when I drove my Canadian friend over to the FSDO in California while at a trade show. He left their offices with more U.S. ratings than I even have. Not fair !
Maybe that liberal attitude has been reigned in... by now.
Good luck.

Can you do an address change online yet? My US license was issued based on my Canadian license, and i've moved since I got it. I tried changing the license online once and was told I couldn't, nor could I do it by phone when I tried. I'm not generally near an FSDO when i'm in the US, so changing it in person is extremely difficult. Any other options? Will they do it by mail?

Go to FAA.gov, click on airmen certification, click on address change. There are two options, one on-line and one to download a form to mail in.

Back