What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GDL39 Firmware 4.30

petehowell

Well Known Member
Saturday (2/28) I loaded firmware 4.30 from the Nexus 7 to the GDL39 - no problems. This update installed the "ADS-B Compliance Tool".

Matt Burch was kind enough to reply to my email (on a weekend!) that:

This is something that you can use with the latest version of the Garmin Pilot iPad app to view the details of the ADS-B output of nearby transponders.

I broke out my wife's Ipad with the latest Garmin Pilot on it and could not see how this feature worked and did not find any documentation on the web.

Has anyone else seen this or figured out how to use it?

Thanks for any help!

Saturday (2/28) I loaded firmware 4.30 from the Nexus 7 to the GDL39 - no problems. This update installed the "ADS-B Compliance Tool".

I broke out my wife's Ipad with the latest Garmin Pilot on it and could not see how this feature worked and did not find any documentation on the web.

Thanks for any help!

Hello Pete,

What version of Garmin Pilot are you using on your iPad? It is our understanding that the 7.20 version of Garmin Pilot which provides the ADS-B Out compliance tool doesn't come out until tomorrow.

Thanks,
Steve

Hello Pete,

After you upgrade to Garmin Pilot for iOS V7.2, just select the GDL 39 on the Connext page, and touch the ADS-B Compliance line.

Next, it will show you a list of ADS-B Out aircraft that are being monitored (including your aircraft). Select an aircraft to see the status of all those 91.227 parameters that are being transmitted like NACP, NACV, NIC, SDA, and SIL.

Parameters that are shown in green are within compliance limits, and those shown in red are not.

The primary purpose of the tool is to allow you to check the output of your aircraft and determine if your ADS-B Out is compliant or if changes are needed.

FAR 91.227 requires the following information be transmitted, and the status of all of these parameters, and more, are provided by the tool and displayed on your iOS version of Garmin Pilot when using a GDL 39/39R.

(c) ADS-B Out Performance Requirements for NACP, NACV, NIC, SDA, and SIL--
(1) For aircraft broadcasting ADS-B Out as required under Sec. 91.225 (a) and (b)--
(i) The aircraft's NACP must be less than 0.05 nautical miles;
(ii) The aircraft's NACV must be less than 10 meters per second;
(iii) The aircraft's NIC must be less than 0.2 nautical miles;
(iv) The aircraft's SDA must be 2; and
(v) The aircraft's SIL must be 3.

For your G3X system with a GTX23ES transponder, the SDA setting is directly controlled by the GPS Integrity field on the Transponder configuration page.

When using the VFR WAAS GPS position source built into the G3X display, this field is set to "VFR" and the transmitted SDA will be 0. When a GNS 4XXW/5XXW or GTN 6XX/7XX navigator is connected to the GTX23ES, this field is set to "1E-7" and the transmitted SDA will be 2.

The NACP, NACV, NIC, and SIL parameters are not user selected, and will be correct (compliant) and shown in green when the GNS/GTN is properly installed and configured for ADS-B Out+.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Steve:

Will this show the status of our output , or only other adb-s out planes ?

Hello JGoehl,

Good question. Yes, your aircraft should show up in the list of monitored aircraft and you may choose it to display the ADS-B Out data.

I updated my posting above to make this clear.

Thanks,
Steve

That is excellent,, will be a great asset.

The Garmin pilot app just keeps getting better and better.

Thanks,
Jeff

Pretty Cool

Played with this on the ramp a bit this evening. Good stuff!

My plane and all the others I saw above me all had some red elements. What is the criteria used by the GDL/Pilot App to determine if a target is compliant and is going be displayed or rejected and not displayed?

Played with this on the ramp a bit this evening. Good stuff!

My plane and all the others I saw above me all had some red elements. What is the criteria used by the GDL/Pilot App to determine if a target is compliant and is going be displayed or rejected and not displayed?

Hello Pete,

If you touch one of those red fields, it will bring up a page which shows the present value, the required value (for compliance), and even the regulatory reference for that parameter.

You shared your position source/transponder setup with us, and it will be normal for you to be seeing red. :)

Thanks,
Steve

Upgrade.

Hi Steve. I have 7.1.0 on my iPhone and
IPAD mini. I see no updates in the App Store.
I would like to update both. Also I am using a GDL
39. What do I do? Do I also need to update the GDL39?
Thanks.

I just finished updating both my Garmin Pilot App (to 7.2) and the GDL 39R in our RV-6. Aside for needing a couple of attempts to get the bluetooth pairing to work (the Ipad said it was connected, Pilot said it wasn't - then all of a sudden, Pilot said it was OK), the update to the GDL worked just fine - Pilot came up and asked if I wanted to update the firmware in the GDL, I said yes, and watched it work for about ten minutes.

Couldn't tell if all the cool traffic/ADS-B stuff works - we've got winter weather here with snow showers, icing, tec - so nothing is flying around the mountains right now. Too chilly to sit in the hangar and wait for something to fly over..... we'll check this out on a cross-country later this week.

Hi Steve. I have 7.1.0 on my iPhone and
IPAD mini. I see no updates in the App Store.
I would like to update both. Also I am using a GDL
39. What do I do? Do I also need to update the GDL39?
Thanks.

Hello Al,

We have our hands pretty full with G3X and aren't the best source of information on all the various phones and tablets that can run Garmin Pilot.

Fortunately, Garmin has a fair sized group of people that spend their day helping customers install/use Garmin Pilot, and below is their contact information.

email: [email protected]
Phone: 1-866-739-5687

Thanks,
Steve

A "2020 compliant" aircraft (Gulfstream 4) flew by this morning and I captured this screen to show what this utility looks like. The real screen shows the registration number, flight ID, and ICAO address, but I blocked those out for posting here.

CompliantAircraft.jpg

Use without Garmin Pilot?

Will the compliance check features be available to those of use that don't use Garmin Pilot (eg. on G3x or the free standalone iPad GDL39 utlilty)?
-Greg

Will the compliance check features be available to those of use that don't use Garmin Pilot (eg. on G3x or the free standalone iPad GDL39 utlilty)?
-Greg

Hello Greg,

There aren't currently any plans to provide this capability outside of Garmin Pilot, but it is definitely something that has been discussed and will continue to be considered.

Thanks,
Steve

Back