What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Edge Forming Tool Question

RobB52

The RV-14 plans recommend putting a slight break in the trailing edge skins prior to riveting. I understand why and I did this using a hand seamer with very good results. Looking thru my seldom used tools, I noticed that I had a Cleveland Edge Forming Tool (rollers on vice grip). The description on-line says it is used to improve the joints when "overlapping" sheets. Can the Edge Forming Tool be used on the trailing edges in place of the hand seamer? It appears the roller tool is pretty quick and more uniform than the hand seamer. Does it do essentially the same thing as the seamer in this situation, or is it different?

Thanks

Thanks for the responses. Especially the one about using the former prior to dimpling. I would have not realized the error until after dimpling.

I used the Cleveland tool on my trailing edge and turned out great. Set it up on a piece of scrap of the same thickness so you can barely see the bend.

Back