What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO-400

P

paul mosher

Was just told by Superior that the IO-400 will begin shipping in early 2013. Anyone considering it for a 7 or 8?

probably no opinion because it is coming from a company recently recovering from going under. Aren't they a Chinese company now.

$50000 is kind of a turn off also

You can buy an entire, complete, flying, solid RV for less than $50K right now. Engine prices are ludicrous.

I am more interested in the 409AC from ECI. Awaiting to see how it pans out, how the angle valve version looks and acts, etc. I won't need an engine for 6 months at least.

probably no opinion because it is coming from a company recently recovering from going under. Aren't they a Chinese company now.

As compared to a German company before.....I'm just sayin'....

Seriously, the previous parent company tanked, not Superior due to their own operations. Their resurrection is the best thing that can happen for us. Competition is good for the end consumer. Had Superior not ceased operations for a while I doubt we would have seen the recent increases from Lycoming, nor their dump job on the engine build shops.

ECI Titan 409

ECI will start building the 409 in early November. Parallel valve, fuel injection and mags has a base price of 41,000. 230 horsepower and less weight, lower cost than a 390. They were at Reno selling them. Did you hear about the new cylinders they put on Relentless? They took off the angle heads from Kevin's original 720 and installed some new parallels that breathe better. Put out 445 hp, 10% more than the stock angle heads.

...Did you hear about the new cylinders they put on Relentless? They took off the angle heads from Kevin's original 720 and installed some new parallels that breathe better. Put out 445 hp, 10% more than the stock angle heads.
An engine builder to be named later told me a few years back they were working on new cylinders for the parallel valve (I)O-360 and -540's that had better flow. They expected the new cylinders to pump the (I)O-360's up to 200+ hp due to better flow.

No word on what happened to these cylinders but I do remember they would require different intake tubes and exhaust. All of which would be worth it for that type of power upgrade.

The idea being that when you need a top overhaul, you could replace your cylinders and gain a significant increase in power without gaining much weight.

Last edited:
Back