What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel smell after doing full flap stall

Mdragon

I was testing the full flap stall speed today, and held the airplane in up attitude for maybe 30 seconds, at idle. Stalled and recovered , and then noticed a strong smell of fuel. This went away in a minute. We landed and saw nothing on post flight. I had completely full fuel in the left tank, and it got hot. One guess is the fuel swelled, overflowed, and at that attitude got blown inside the engine cowling somehow.

Anyone else run into this. Any other possibilities. There was no fuel smell for the duration of flight after.

Maybe a bit of fuel flushed out through tank vents during stall & washed back along the intersection fairings?
I've never done a stall series with absolute full tanks so haven't experienced this my self.

With full flap you can get fume ingestion through the holes in the fuselage where the flap rods go. You can get fuel smells from venting under the fuselage or exhaust fumes on final.

Fly on ;)

Back