What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

canopy slider stop latch?

iaw4

Well Known Member
I want to leave the sliding canopy partly open during runup. the vans solution seems expensive. heck, a string with a hook might do it, but it would be ugly.

what is simple and recommended?

I have a latch on my RV6 that lets me open it a few inches, it came with the Meske tip up slider kit. I got it from aircraftextras.com, maybe you could contact them and see if they would just sell the latch.

Latch

I have a latch on my RV6 that lets me open it a few inches, it came with the Meske tip up slider kit. I got it from aircraftextras.com, maybe you could contact them and see if they would just sell the latch.

That?s interesting, I didn?t get a latch when I ordered my Meske tip up kit for my slider.:eek:

I have 2 latches. One for runups with about 6" open and another one that leaves the canopy just slightly behind me so I can reach it when I'm alone on the plane and it's time to shut it.

I just looked at the pictures I actually have Another tip up/slider sold by aircraft extras, that comes with the intermediate latch.

I just looked at the pictures I actually have Another tip up/slider sold by aircraft extras, that comes with the intermediate latch.

I checked their website and see the latch comes with the ?other? tip up option. Looks like a nice latch.

I have 2 latches. One for runups with about 6" open and another one that leaves the canopy just slightly behind me so I can reach it when I'm alone on the plane and it's time to shut it.

can you please post and/or describe how they are actuated and unactuated?

can you please post and/or describe how they are actuated and unactuated?

I bought it here, they are VAF advertisers and awesome to deal with https://www.flyboyaccessories.com/Sliding-Canopy-Automatic-Latch-p/2101.htm

and you can see a video of how it works here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0BSlcYxU4M&feature=emb_logo

They also sell the extra part that goes on the frame rail if you want to stop it in two places like I did without having to buy two complete kits.

Last edited:
I bought it here, they are VAF advertisers and awesome to deal with https://www.flyboyaccessories.com/Sliding-Canopy-Automatic-Latch-p/2101.htm

and you can see a video of how it works here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0BSlcYxU4M&feature=emb_logo

They also sell the extra part that goes on the frame rail if you want to stop it in two places like I did without having to buy two complete kits.

Don't think that's gonna work on a 6. The tracks have the open side inward and the wheel truck will foul. It might not be elegant, but I just put a spring clamp on the track to keep the wheel from moving aft at about the 6" open point. When not in use, I clamp it to the armrest.

Ed Holyoke

The standard 8 slider stop design is a small block of Delrin screwed to the top of the rail, that is just high enough to catch the roller angle, but short enough that you can slightly lift it over the block, using the slop in the roller/track. At least that is what I deduced from the rather vague drawing.

Clipboard01.jpg

The standard 8 slider stop design is a small block of Delrin screwed to the top of the rail, that is just high enough to catch the roller angle, but short enough that you can slightly lift it over the block, using the slop in the roller/track. At least that is what I deduced from the rather vague drawing.

Clipboard01.jpg

Now you confused me. I thought the OP was asking about a -8 and I gave him what I did but later I noticed his signature has a -6. You have a -6 but you're talking about a -8 too. Is your info for a -8 or for a -6?

Now I get it. Where did you find the drawings for the -8? Do you have a link I could use? I didn't build mine and the builder gave me everything on enormous pieces of paper and it sucks to find anything. I mean when I eventually find it, most of the time, it's great to see it real big on paper but I don't always find what I'm looking for or it takes days.

I'm now looking at installing a flap position sensor and I also have to thread a new 1/4" tube for the AOA through the wings and was told it's all in the plans

that's the extent of the drawings for the slider stop.
I bought the plans CD (or USB, I can't remember!) so I could peruse them when traveling, etc. on my tablet or PC.

Last edited:
that's the extent of the drawings for the slider stop.
I bought the plans CD so I could peruse them when traveling, etc. on my tablet or PC.

Perfect. Let me go through the extra things the seller gave me, maybe there's an old CD in there I didn't give a second look since i don't have a CD player in my laptop. Thanks !

Don't think that's gonna work on a 6. The tracks have the open side inward and the wheel truck will foul. It might not be elegant, but I just put a spring clamp on the track to keep the wheel from moving aft at about the 6" open point. When not in use, I clamp it to the armrest.

Ed Holyoke
This is what I do too until I find a more elegant solution for the side x sides. It works.

Ed Holyoke

indeed. it says right under it "Frequently Asked Questions":

Q: Will this work on other RV models?
A: No, the RV-8's sliding canopy tracks are set up differently from those on the side-by-side RV models. If you've got a side-by-side RV and want to add a stop for a cracked-open taxi position, the simplest way to do what you're trying to do is to get a small piece of low profile piano hinge and mount it on top of the canopy rail so that the hinge side overhangs the inboard side of the track. If done right, the hinge, when closed, is out of the way of normal canopy operation. When opened, the hinge falls down across the opening of the canopy track and blocks the canopy from sliding back. I don't have a kit for this at the moment, but it should be fairly easy to put together with off-the-shelf parts, so long as you're careful to choose fasteners that won't interfere with canopy operation.

Back