What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

XM Weather antenna and RV-4 ?

777drvr

Well Known Member
Hi Guys,

I'm just trying to figure out how to handle the XM antenna in my 4 . The small cockpit and side tip canopy are making it a little challenging . I could possibly mount it on the fuselage under the canopy but the cable would have to be extended . Has anyone done that ?

Any suggestions would be appreciated !

Marc

I modified the top of the roll bar on my -4 for a GPS antenna, routed to coax inside the tubing, works great. Not sure of the size of the XM antenna, but you might see if that would work.

Thanks ! Two things . Already a GPS antenna up there and the XM antenna cable is too short .

I may have more options if I can extend the cable .

Marc

Hi Marc...

...a friend and I made a little aluminum shelf for his -4 and attached it to the firewall, just under the cowl....both antennae there...works like a charm, even with his silver metallic paint!

Best,

I could possibly mount it on the fuselage under the canopy but the cable would have to be extended . Has anyone done that ?
Marc

That is the location of mine. Works well. Look behind the purple alien.
CIMG4429.JPG

Last edited:
XM antenna

Marc,

I mounted mine on a shelf on the upper firewall under the cowl. You'll have plenty of cable. You can search through the archives to satisfy yourself that it's okay. Mine has been working fine for almost four years in the desert southwest. Many have been in place much longer.

Ex-caretaker of 144RS

Thanks for the great suggestions . I did some searching and saw under cowl as an option . I also ordered the extension that Tony pointed out . It's labeled as being for the 30 but believe it will work for the 40 . I can now play around and come up with something workable .

Steve ,
I'm hoping to take your old bird to Sun n Fun . The XM will really help with the interesting early spring weather in these parts !

Marc

Back