What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ECi Cylinder AD Group B

rv4ator

I have a Mattituck TMX O-360 with four ECi cylinders that are in Group B of AD 2009-26-12. According to the AD & the FAA, after 350 hours these cylinders have to come off the engine & be retired, they CANNOT be repaired & returned to service.

ECi has told me that they will not replace these cylinders under warranty because they are not installed on a "certificated" engine. They did say they would repair them, but the AD specifically states that they cannot be repaired. ECi does have a fix (AMOC) for the Group A cylinders that should be approved by the FAA soon. However, the AMOC is NOT approved for the Group B cylinders according to the FAA project engineer.

Has anyone out there had a Group B cylinder(s) "repaired" by ECi? Do you have any confidence that their so called "fix" work on the Group B cylinders?

I think it is pretty lousy customer service to not honor their 3 year warranty on certified cylinders just because they are installed on a non-certified engine. They were sold at the same price whether on a Lycoming, TMX, or other engine.

Amy Laboda had an article on this in KitPlanes a few months ago. Sounded from the article like ECI finally gave up their hardball position on this under pressure from FAA reps. Not sure when you last talked to ECI, but my suggestion is to politely insist on replacement and refer to FAA's position, as described in the article. If you dont get any satisfaction, start making a few phone calls - the people to call are also indicated in the article. I havent heard on this forum of anyone who has actually had the AMOC completed.

Good luck

erich

Back