What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GPS Antenna mounting screw size

DaveWelch

Well Known Member
Folks,
Page 29-02 shows size #8 plate nut installed on the firewall bracket
Page 42C-07shows stainless #6 screws used to fasten the GPS mounting plate to that bracket.
I can't be the only one to have noticed, but I'm not seeing any mention in the forums and no changes found in Van's updates.
If I've missed or misinterpreted something obvious please tell me (be gentle!) <grin>
Thanks,

Dave

Last edited:
My guess would be this is a new issue introduced with the latest revision of section 42C as I cannot recall having a problem with that. Or maybe they changed from #8 to a #6 screw size in the newer production line and you do not have an updated revision of section 29 that would show that. My suggestion would be to insert the screw that fits and move on.

I encountered the same thing yesterday myself. Like you, I checked and verified that I had installed the correct nut plates. I suspect there has been a recent change or maybe a mistake/typo in the plans. I drilled #19 the F-1201Z plate and installed AN526C832R8 screws.

Error in plans I think

Thanks guys. I had checked all the revisions going back to the "beginning". Same call outs all the way thru it seems. So I put the corresponding #8 screw in it and moved on to other wiring adventures. Only bummer is that you end up short two #8 screws somewhere else. Putting together an order for some extras along with the Fuel Pump drain and the ADAHRS Stiffener to install BEFORE attaching the Tailcone.

I'd order a whole bag of #6 and #8 screws! These things are everywhere and wear out quickly when repeatedly being removed and reinstalled, which is likely to happen during annual inspections anyway. That way you don't have to decide if to reuse one with a non-perfect head ...

Buy 'em by the bag

Good point. Mine haven't flown yet and I can feel them go in/out easier. I'm getting really good at removing and reinstalling panels, floors, bulkheads...
I'll replace the screws before flight.

Back