What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EI Fuel Gauge Issue Capacitive Plates

ExtraKatana

Well Known Member
FL-2CA Dual Fuel Level Gauge.
Just replaced the IMC module on the Starboard side. Sprayed electronic cleaner in every elec connection reachable. Re-calibrated by adding fuel in 3 gal increments. Did this because I was getting a high reading on the starboard side. Like 19 gallons when I had 10. Worked great for 15 minutes of flight now I’m stuck on 7 gallons reading when I know I have 15.
Same fuel used to calibrate was used during flight so I don't think "different fuels" causing a different capacitance is the issue.

Anyone been there?

Last edited:
What type of fuel are you using? You might buy a multimeter that measures capacitance then you could at least look at that part of the problem. That might help you to isolate what's going on.

Be aware that different fuels have different dielectric constants so the capacitance will change. I know that for 100LL it is twice that for air. I'm not sur e of the specifics for other fuels. My point is don't plan on your fuel gauges working correctly if you are changing fuels. I'm not sure if you are already aware of this or not, just letting you know.

So I recalibrated the instrument by adding 3 gallons at a time and locking in the new sensor number for that fuel level. Sensor numbers increased as they should as fuel increased. All was fine for first 15 minutes of flight. the same fuel was used during the flight as was used to calibrate the instrument. There was a big change also. From 16 gallons down to 5-7 in an instant. Now I'm stuck on 7. Cleaned all the connectors and reattached.

Last edited:
Back