What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wanted: Pirep on GTX 23es

Chuckne

Looking to do a budget upgrade on my 9a avionics. Going with G3x Gdu 370 (non touch). Concerned I won?t have panel space in my center stack for everything thus looking at a remote transponder...specifically the gtx 23es which is of the vintage and does interface with the 370. I really can?t find much info and just wondering about functionality/buttonolgy through the 370 vs the easy of squawk code entry of a panel mount. Your thoughts and experience are greatly appreciated

I have a never installed GTX 23ES with tray and connectors if you?re interested. Originally part of my Stein panel - since swapped to a GTX 45R.

works fine

I've been flying with the gtx23es on a non-touch G3x system since 2014, works fine. Enterring a new code does take a couple of button pushes more than a panel mounted unit. It's not ideal, but perfectly usable.

You'll also need a seperate ads-b receiver (I use a gdl39).

-Greg

I've been flying with the gtx23es on a non-touch G3x system since 2014, works fine. Enterring a new code does take a couple of button pushes more than a panel mounted unit. It's not ideal, but perfectly usable.

You'll also need a seperate ads-b receiver (I use a gdl39).

-Greg

Ditto including the GDL39, except for me it's been since 2015.

For those who are using the GTX23 for ADSB out, what are you using for your certified position?

I had one in my RV-10 with G3X legacy displays and liked it a lot. GTN650 as ADSB position OUT source and GDL-39 IN. Doing the same on my -9A except using GDL50R for ADSB IN.

I have a 23es with my touch system and it's great, no issues. Use a gtn650 as position source and gdl-39r for ads-b in.

In fact I'm thinking about selling the 39r to replace with a 52r (for the music), anyone interested in a good deal on a 39r?

My 23ES uses a Garmin GPS 20A position source. Works great. I use a GDL 52 for ADS-B and SiriusXM "in" on the GDU. Awesome. However, I want to remove the GTX 23ES / GPS 20A and replace with a GTX 32 Mode C with a GDL 82 so I can get away from the non-private 1090ES system. But the 23ES works so well I can't justify the down time so I have to wait for a project to come up before I tear into it.

I have had the GDU370, GTX23ES, GDL39R and GTN650 since 2013.
Works great.
I fly to OSH every year, crawl under the panel ,slide the unit out and have Garmin update software.

Back