What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nordlock vs Safety Wire

I think both the calipers and wheel pant bolts are AN4 1/4-28, which would be 50-70 in/lbs. The washer doesn’t change this. I bought a supply of Nord locks from spruce and have used them in these areas. I also have a Sensenich GA prop, and it came standard with Nord lock washer for securing the prop to the crank flange, and for clamping the adjustable prop hubs.

I just installed my Matco calipers today, they come with Nordlocks from the factory. This is my first experience with these, so far I like them.

I think both the calipers and wheel pant bolts are AN4 1/4-28, which would be 50-70 in/lbs. The washer doesn’t change this. I bought a supply of Nord locks from spruce and have used them in these areas. I also have a Sensenich GA prop, and it came standard with Nord lock washer for securing the prop to the crank flange, and for clamping the adjustable prop hubs.

Thanks for the info!

How long has safety wire been around? I don't know, but I can say that I've cut .032" safety wire in 2014 that was installed in 1956.

Safety wire is cheap and it's got a really really long shelf life and it fits a lot of things.
No safety wire I've ever installed has failed - never.
Safety wire comes in stainless, monel, and inconnel (at least)
I don't really need to "check the torque" of something I've saftied.
Safetying a Hartzell CS prop with .041" takes 10 minutes tops.
You ever try to break .041" by turning the bolt?
If I drop a can of safety wire on the ground, I can easily find it within a couple of minutes.
.041" safety wire will go through the tip of your thumb with no problem (lets see a Nord Lock do that)
Safety Cable is an option to safety wire and it's that much quicker.

Most of all Safety Wire Just Looks Cool (when it's done right)

Agree 100%. Besides, after you've safety wired the ammo drum mount bolts in an A-10 Warthog, (with .041 if I remember correctly), with very limited space where you can see em', or you can safety them; but not both at the same time, everything else in safety world is a cake walk.

Back