What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

18-09; dimple or countersink for AN509-8R8

jeffw@sc47

Well Known Member
To DIMPLE, or COUNTERSINK?

Have read through a number of times Section 18 for instruction to dimple or countersink for the tank skins (T-00001) AN509-8R8 tank-to-spar and tank-to-outboard LE attach screws. Don't find it.

Tried searching (via Acrobat Pro) .pdf version of manual and for some reason searching for "dimple" and "countersink" or anything, search leaps over Section 18 forwards and backwards.

Tank skin dimples

Jeff,

There's a note between steps 10 and 11 on page 18-03 about dimpling those holes but I don't see the step that says to actually do it. I guess I did mine at that point. No problems with assembly later on. I wouldn't want to countersink and remove material on this (what I consider to be critical) joint.

Yep, went back and looked again and finally saw the note just before step 11 on page 18-03 in BOLD to dimple all screw holes in the skins. Can't see the trees for the forest.

Also, the corresponding attach holes in the spar flanges are countersunk for receiving a dimpled hole in the skins for the #8 machine screws.

Last edited:
Back