What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Shoes made for extreme comfort (while building)

diamond

Well Known Member
OK, here's a topic that probably most builders don't give much thought to. I will be joining the ranks of "builder" before too long and most definately will be spending countless hours on my feet. My feet are probably the weakest member of my body and I want to make sure I have good footware that is built for ultimate comfort. Does anyone have any suggestions for shoes that are comfortable for long hours on the feet. Thanks.

I use garage pads on the floor. They also help to keep the cold in the winter from soaking in right away (now if only I could get the radiant floor heat in my home into the garage floor - next house).

You can get them at Lowe's Aircraft Supply.

Bob

Back in '64 I built a T-18 at Lake Elmo airport, Minnesota and used surplus "micky mouse" boots from the Korean war. Never felt the -40 degrees with only one pair of socks and snow mobile overalls.
John Foy

OK, here's a topic that probably most builders don't give much thought to. I will be joining the ranks of "builder" before too long and most definately will be spending countless hours on my feet. My feet are probably the weakest member of my body and I want to make sure I have good footware that is built for ultimate comfort. Does anyone have any suggestions for shoes that are comfortable for long hours on the feet. Thanks.

Your brain will give out long before your feet do........... ;)

Got these foam pads at Sams Club.

8 in a package, IIRC, about $25 or so.

P6170007.jpg

Easy to move as needed, and stay in place quite well.

Your brain will give out long before your feet do........... ;)

That's encouraging.

I once spoke to an RV-12 builder who did a good bit of the build sitting down. I would think you need to be fairly mobile, but maybe sitting works well for many aspects of the build. Of course then we would need to discuss who makes the best seat cushion for extended buttock time.

I spent too many years in the Infantry, my feet kill me after a short time on them. I have already been shopping for the best stools to use, plan to do most of my building sitting down. I am thinking that a variable height stool will be best.
In answer to the post, as a diabetic I am furnished diabetic shoes by Medicare for free, they are the most comfortable shoes I have ever owned, and alleviate much of the pain, then a Tylenol with Codiene takes care of it after that. You can buy them at many places that sell DME stuff.

What I did - -

I went to a used furniture place and bought a solid steel well padded office chair ( no casters ). Half the build can be done sitting down. Lot of deburring edges of pieces and pulling blue plastic off etc.

John Bender

I used Race Deck floor tiles in my shop. They help insulate and they are much more forgiving on the feet/knees than concrete. Clubcobra.com arranged for a discount, if you are interested.
I work long days at SnF and Oshkosh standing on the hangar floors. I wear Rockport walking shoes exclusively.

Best for your feet

I'm a runner so I always have a pile of used running shoes. These along with old pieces of carpet really help. I also use the thick 2" black foam under my knees and stools under by rear. Put a stool on each side of the project, really does help.

FYI, just spent 3 hrs in the barn and never sat down. Some nights are just like that.

I have big feet (14s) and know how important good shoes are. I spend more on shoes that the rest of my wardrobe, I suppose. I did work on carpet, and that helped. But I like Ecco brand shoes, their deck shoes. About $200, but worth it. Good for flying, also, as they give good feel of those pedal thingies, what ever they are for.

Bob Kelly

New Balance slip ons. They are the best I've ever worn. They look just like the New Balance lace up walking shoes, but they slip on. About $65.00 at most stores that carry New Balance shoes. You won't regret buying a pair.

A few years back I developed a condition called Mortons neuroma in my left foot. Hurts like heck and is made worse by shoes that are too narrow. I searched high and low and ended up with shoes by Keen. Super comfortable with a very wide toe box.

I'll second on Merrell light hiking shoes. I am on my feet all day long and have high arches. A pair of Merrells and Smartwool socks will keep you good to go!

Back