What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Helicoil Help

Colin McG

During our annual we removed the plugs and couldn't get the lower number 4 back in. On closer inspection we could see that the helicoil had backed out slightly.

The advice we'd had ranges from gently file of the tang and put the plug back in to remove the helicoil and replace.

If anyone has experience of either, I'd welcome any thoughts or suggestions.

if we do replace the helicoil, I understand they are sized, does anyone know the length of the coil for an IO-360-A3B6D, number 4 bottom plug?

Thanks

Colin
C-GURV (RV-8)

The advice we'd had ranges from gently file of the tang and put the plug back in
(RV-8)

This is what I would do, depending upon how much of the helicoil is out of the case threads. Get a small flat bottomed carbide burr for your die grinder or dremel and grind off any exposed part of the helicoil that prevents the seat from contacting. May need a needle file to dress up the thread area afterwards.

In the future, use anti-sieze to prevent further backing out.

I have never removed a helicoil, but have doubts it would be easy, unless there is half to a full thread of the coil sitting proud of the case threads. In that case, you can just grab the end of the coil with a vice grip and it should spin out.

Larry

Last edited:
Same thing happened to me at condition inspection this spring. Same fix. All is well so far. If you can retorque your plug to proper spec you should be good.

I was told the cause of my problem was using too much antiseize. I was using a common graphite variant. It was getting all bummed up in the threads. I’ve since switched to a copper based antiseize and I go real light with it.

Back