What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The journey begins!

George4242

I'm New Here
35hk3l0.jpg

Well gentlemen.. It has begun, RV-8. Any tips, tricks, suggestions or words of wisdom to share? I've got some time to kill before I actually order kit parts, so I've got some prep time. I plan on reading the manual repeatedly and hopefully gaining some knowledge from the experienced builders. I've already found some builders in Boone Iowa and plan on getting a hold of them once I have some free time from work. Some questions I have;
-are there any tools I should get/avoid?
-is there anything I should just straight up avoid?
-has anyone used a 200+ power plant?
-turbine power plant?
-what is the never exceed speed?
-has anyone done some modifications to the frame to increase that?
-have there been any successful and well documented retract modifications? (yes I know it isn't the 'smartest' thing to do)
-has anyone done a real fast back, I've seen the bubble fast back, but I would really like to do a BF-109 style cockpit.
-How much more room does the "tall" option give you?
-what does it do to the rear seats space?

If you haven't already clicked on reply and started reaming me a 'new one' well thanks :) A little background on me, I'm an Aerospace Engineering student at ISU, I love working with my hands and work on cars quite often, and I'm not afraid of a little challenge! So I do know that some of my questions are very in depth, very challenging and may be impossible, but that's what being an engineer is about. So I would love any help, sympathy or suggestions.

Thank you all,
George

George, firstly...welcome!

I would really consider taking an EAA sheetmetal course this summer. It will get you up to speed real quick.
From learning which end of the cleko pliers to hold, to bucking rivets of various sizes. good luck
Oh, SB or QB? (first lesson:D)
Regards

Regarding the tall option: How tall are you? I'm a solid 6'3" and I find that there's more than enough legroom in the front of an -8.

Congrats

Congrats and welcome to the wonderful world of RV's. This will be a memorable journey. This is an exciting time to be building. I think there will be lots of changes in avionics by the time you are at that point.

Mike S must be washing his Welcome to VAF apron. You'll get it later:)

Been away from the computer for a couple days putting the plane back together after paint. MS

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome aboard George. You need to get ahold of the guys down at W&C builders assist in Boone, IDK if that is the builders you were talking about. Since you go to school at ISU, it is just another 20 minute drive down HWY 30 to their hangar at Boone Muni. http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=99697
I picked up my wing kit from them in December and there were 9 RV's being built in their Hangar, to include a Super 8 (IO-540 powered RV-8). Give them a call or stop by sometime. It will be a priceless experience for you in the beginning of this journey.

:D

First, THANK YOU ALL FOR THE ENCOURAGEMENT!

Yes Randle those are the gents I was told to get a hold of, however I didn't have a name or anything. Do they do this professionally or just for S&G? What is a super 8???!!??!

dude.. Lorne green I would literally kill to be able to go to one of those, but I have 2 days off every 14 days and I work 6-4 on a hog farm. /: I'm sure there's another resource, I'm not going to start with the metal till next summer. ( I want to get as much of what I plan on doing designed, tested, and double checked before I take a 22k (ish) kit and start hacking away at it.. ) I plan on getting many many books on the subject as I have lots of time during the school year. :)

N546RV; I am a full 6'6'' without shoes. I fit into a 944 and 911 nicely and a 152 and 172 (my current plane) very well :) so I'm not a huge guy, most of my height is in my shins (no joke, its kinda freaky..)

N546RV; I am a full 6'6'' without shoes. I fit into a 944 and 911 nicely and a 152 and 172 (my current plane) very well :) so I'm not a huge guy, most of my height is in my shins (no joke, its kinda freaky..)

Yeah, you might be a candidate for the tall pilot option. To my knowledge, all it does is move the front seat back a bit, which gives you some more legroom at the expense of your backseater.

It's probably good that your height is in your legs really. When I sat in an -8, once I was settled (and the pedals were moved all the way forward!) my legs were fine. The canopy, on the other hand, was pretty close to my head.

I don't think you have to commit to the tall pilot thing until you order the fuse, so you have some time...but definitely find yourself an -8 to sit in. Just be prepared to have some moments of fantasy while you're in there...:D

George,
First off congrats on selecting the 8, it is one fine airplane. Nothing like sitting on the center line of a flying machine.
My two cents worth is this. If you want to fly sooner than later, build it to plan. If your bag is modifying it, have at it and have fun.
But consider this, it is a darn fine airplane as is. For the shear joy of flying, a RV can not be improved much. Vans has created the most successful kit airplanes ever. People love them because they fly so well, keep it light and simple and you won't be disappointed.

N546RV: I plan on sitting in at least one RV-8 ;) I'll definitely be swinging by those Boone guy's shop!

David: I'm a little hung up on this, I really want to build a one off. However I do really want to get flying by next winter (being optimistic here guys). I think I'll talk to one of m professors and see how in depth an 'overhaul' would be. I think the middle ground here is to build one, fly it a little, sell it, regret it, then build my one off :) but if I fall in love with the first RV-8... well **** ;)

Hi George,
Just my .02 here. Especially as a recent graduate with a BS in aerospace engineering, I know how eager you are to custom make your airplane from scratch, but I would recommend making this one per the plans just to figure out all the stuff they don't teach you in school (trust me there's a lot). You're young and have time to make a second plane. Make that one frickin' awesome. Easily the best thing I've done so far in getting ready to start building is taking the EAA Sportair RV building workshop. Now if you do go off and modify this thing until it's unrecognizable, make sure you let all of us know.

A record suggestion

Most will tell you to just build and don't worry about the details. I disagree with that approach and recommend great attention to detail, strive for excellence but don't get hung up if you fall short of perfection. There is almost always an acceptable standard repair or salvage method and when the inevitable happens it is best to find the solution rather than buy new parts from Van's and start over. In a major project like this it is important to think ahead and behind but always move the project forward.

Take a photo of yourself and family members with your preview plans set, print a hard copy and write the date on the back. This one was taken of my wife Jeanine and I with our new RV-6A preview plans set on May 9 1996 (just home from work still wearing my badge and ballpoint and notebook still in my shirt pocket - I have those little pocket notebooks documenting every day at work since my boss told me to start them on my new remote assignment in order to provide him with detailed weekly reports in 1972 - and I still maintain them even though I retired in 2004):

RV6Aplans_zps6d19f87d.jpg

Use that as the start photo in a photo record of the build process. I now have 5 photo volumes that fully document the build and the date each photo was taken is written on the back.

Start a builder's Log and and record every work session. Many today use volatile memory methods to keep their records but I think a personal hand written record is more valuable. I just bought my 3rd volume which I will need in the next few weeks as I continue to modify the plane for speed. I ordered it from Amazon.com:

Wilson Jones S300 Line Hardbound Account Book, 500 Pages, 35 Lines/Page, 11-3/4" x 7-1/4", Blue with Brown Trim, WS300-5R
Sold by MyOfficeInnovations​

I currently have over 6,100 hours recorded in the original build and the unending continuation of the modifications (no routine maintenance is recorded there - only new build work). You can never recapture the detail of the build if you do not record it as you go. My procedure and format is I draw a line after each entry so there is a line before the current entry when I go to work. I enter the date in the left margin, then the local time of day, then I make a note about the work I plan to do in the current session. During the session I make significant entries and at the end I write down what I did and any appropriate comments and the ending time of day (even if that is into the next day like 0400, etc.) I sign the entry, determine the amount of time worked and enter the current total number of new build/Modification hours in the left margin and draw a line across the page under the entry to close it off.

I can go to my photo albums find the photo(s) of an item that I want to review pull it out and by checking the date on the back go directly to the work entry in the log. Sometime this is the only way you can study what you did as the original work is no longer visible.

When I went into the FAA office at Long Beach to apply for my Repairman Certificate with my records there was no hesitation on their part after reviewing the photo albums and written log entries.

Photo at a recent race in Llano, TX

IMG_6983_zps0db62875.jpg

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Back