What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AFS @ Copperstate Fly-In

N402RH

Well Known Member
Advanced Flight Systems will be at Copperstate with the RV-10, so be sure to drop by the booth and see what?s new. We have been busy adding hardware and software support for the Dynon Skyview Network to the AF-5000 series of systems. With two independent power and data buses, the SkyView Network has superior redundancy which allows the AF-5000 system to notify the pilot when wiring faults are detected, while not diminishing the system?s capabilities.

9956414784_d8bf167f42_b.jpg

We will have AF-5000 systems at Copperstate demonstrating the connectivity to a number of Skyview components (including ADAHRS, Skyview COM Radio, ADS-B, Intercom and GPS) all available from AFS for the AF-5000 systems. We continue to work on software support for additional Skyview Modules.

We will have touch-screen versions of all the AF-5000 systems for you to try in the booth (including AF-5800T, AF-5600T, AF-5500T and the AF-5400T). We now have AF-Video adaptors in stock for use on any AF-5000 with touch screen or Skyview Network support. The AF-Video adaptor will enable you to play movies or show FLIR camera video on the AF-5000 screens.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems Inc.
N402RH RV-10

separate

How separated are the companies with software? i.e. one dynon display and one AFS display as redundant systems?

Also, for the FLIR video, where can that video be routed? Is it possible (looking at the above diagram) to have both displays in full use while having the FLIR on an iPad? Ohh. Ohh, gimbal mount the FLIR and use the iPad compas to drive the gimbal....PLEASE (joking, now we are getting a bit ridiculous).

We will have AF-5000 systems at Copperstate demonstrating the connectivity to a number of Skyview components (including ADAHRS, Skyview COM Radio, ADS-B, Intercom and GPS) all available from AFS for the AF-5000 systems. We continue to work on software support for additional Skyview Modules.

Ok, I have been trying to wrap my head around all this and try to develop a theory of operation using the manuals of both products and am stumped. Will the Dynon (SV-NET-HUB) take up some(#?) of the serial ports from the main and expansion connectors or will the Hubs not be used and it will be a similar setup to what AFS currently utilizes.

Could you please elaborate on the serial data network correlation between the efis and modules, I am lost.

Ok, I have been trying to wrap my head around all this and try to develop a theory of operation using the manuals of both products and am stumped. Will the Dynon (SV-NET-HUB) take up some(#?) of the serial ports from the main and expansion connectors or will the Hubs not be used and it will be a similar setup to what AFS currently utilizes.

Could you please elaborate on the serial data network correlation between the efis and modules, I am lost.

Each of the AF-5000 EFIS screens have five RS-232 serial ports. With two screens you have 10 independent serial ports that you can use to wire external equipment. The screens will share any serial port from any screen using the Ethernet Connection between them.

The Skyview Network is completely separate and does not use any of the serial ports. We have added the 8 connections for the Skyview network to the EFIS AUX DB-15 connector. If you use our new Skyview Network ADAHRS instead of the standard AHRS it will free up one of the RS-232 serial ports.

The AF-5000 system will eventually support all of the existing Skyview components. As new Skyview Network based components are released you will be able to use them on the AF-5000 EFIS.

I can assure you that Dynon and AFS (Engineering and Marketing) groups are working very closely together to bring you, the aviation consumer, new exciting products and features.

Rob Hickman
N402RH RV-10

Updated Picture with Remote Audio Panel

We also have the new remote PAC15 Audio Panel from PS Engineering interfaced with the AF-5000

9970411084_db151facc8_b.jpg

Rob Hickman
N402RH RV-10

A couple questions for Rob & crew --

- How does the Skyview bus work in a hybrid system, with one AF-4500 and one AF-5000 series display? Will the 5000 "translate" and pass data back to the 4500?

- Are there plans to support the Skyview AP system? And, will the Trutrak/AF-Pilot be kept as an option for those who appreciate a discrete unit?

- How does the Skyview bus work in a hybrid system, with one AF-4500 and one AF-5000 series display? Will the 5000 "translate" and pass data back to the 4500?

Yes, once the data is in the AF-5000 it will send it to the AF-4500 through the Ethernet connection.

- Are there plans to support the Skyview AP system? And, will the Trutrak/AF-Pilot be kept as an option for those who appreciate a discrete unit?[/QUOTE]

We will continue to sell and support the AF-Pilot and believe that it provides a level of redundancy that many customers want. We plan on supporting all of the Skyview modules including the AP System.

Rob Hickman
N402RH RV-10

Last edited:
Back