What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Why I love my Slider Latching handle

pilotkms

Well Known Member
This pix is from a YT post of a different type aircraft. Seconds after liftoff the canopy blew open and shattered. To the STUDENT PILOT’S credit, he kept his cool and landed straight ahead, in a rough field. He and instructor walked away. Plane - not so good. MAJOR damage.
It has what appears to be a latching mechanism that is on both sides and out of view of the pilot. I’m sure someone with more knowledge will post with details. Wonder if that Bose headset hanging out the side suffered any?

My RV7A slider Latch being right there next to my head is very comforting. I check it before turning on to the runway and even prior to liftoff. I don’t ever want my canopy flying off like this guy’s did. It’ll ruin my day.

The complete video of the incident is on YouTube. Long video so just FF to the final 4 minutes. https://youtu.be/9eMcAQcjjNQ
This pix is from a YT post of a different type aircraft. Seconds after liftoff the canopy blew open and shattered. To the STUDENT PILOT’S credit, he kept his cool and landed straight ahead, in a rough field. He and instructor walked away. Plane - not so good. MAJOR damage.
It has what appears to be a latching mechanism that is on both sides and out of view of the pilot. I’m sure someone with more knowledge will post with details. Wonder if that Bose headset hanging out the side suffered any?

My RV7A slider Latch being right there next to my head is very comforting. I check it before turning on to the runway and even prior to liftoff. I don’t ever want my canopy flying off like this guy’s did. It’ll ruin my day.

Yep I painted mine red and before takeoff I touch and check everything red in my cockpit: Mixture, fuel pump switch, fuel selector, and canopy handle:

Back