What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What's next? Fuse or wings?

Hey folks, still new to this and wondering...

Just purchased a mostly completed tail kit for an RV-10 from another builder and have to decide what kit to order next. Was thinking that the fuse kit would make sense because it attaches to the tail cone and can get working on things like wiring but then I'd have to store them both (two car garage) until ready to join the wings. If I order the wing kit next I can store those until I get the fuse but does it help to have the fuse done so I can test fit the spars, etc.

Any thoughts on what you would do?

Mike

I bought a used emp and completed everything including mounting the tail fetters and fiberglass then moved to fuse. I'm doing it because there is not much to do with the wings til you bolt them up in a hangar so rather not tie up the money there. Not sure if I'll do finish kit before wings but I'm trying to wait to the last possible moment to buy engine, prop and avionics. I fortunately have my dads shop to store all parts when I'm done so I can keep the small 2 car garage clean.

I am deep into a slow build fuselage, this is my 5th RV, so not a beginner. If I were doing it again, I would order slow wings now and get on with them and put a quick build fuselage on order. By the time you have done the wings, the fuse will be ready and it will give you a massive boost towards your finished goal.

I am deep into a slow build fuselage, this is my 5th RV, so not a beginner. If I were doing it again, I would order slow wings now and get on with them and put a quick build fuselage on order. By the time you have done the wings, the fuse will be ready and it will give you a massive boost towards your finished goal.
Interesting idea. I definitely want to do the wings myself as I've heard the QB fuel tanks tend to leak. Have to think about whether I want to do both. Since I bought the tail I weirdly feel like I missed out on some quality deburring and riveting time!

I bought a used emp and completed everything including mounting the tail fetters and fiberglass then moved to fuse. I'm doing it because there is not much to do with the wings til you bolt them up in a hangar so rather not tie up the money there. Not sure if I'll do finish kit before wings but I'm trying to wait to the last possible moment to buy engine, prop and avionics. I fortunately have my dads shop to store all parts when I'm done so I can keep the small 2 car garage clean.
That's what I was thinking originally. Do the wings next and then have more parts to find a storage location for until everything gets bolted together...

Welp, lead times...

I just checked back in with the Van's website and (I think this changed recently) the lead time for RV-10 fuse kits is now 5 months (while the wings are still 14 weeks). Now thinking I just order both and some time next year I will have plenty to work on! :D

Just got an email from Vans....there are QC issues with the fuselage kits and they will be delayed 6-8 weeks. Not good news if you are ready to start on it.

Keith

I just checked back in with the Van's website and (I think this changed recently) the lead time for RV-10 fuse kits is now 5 months (while the wings are still 14 weeks). Now thinking I just order both and some time next year I will have plenty to work on! :D

This plan gives you the most optionality. Who knows, the fuse kits might even come in early ... It happened to me recently with a Swedish blacksmith hammer that I ordered.

Last edited:
Back