What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine mount bolt torques

pilotof2000

I'm New Here
Hello, I am doing a conditional inspection on a new to me Rv4 and want to check engine mount bolt torques for both the engine mount to fuselage, and engine to engine mount. I have not been able to find the specific torques anywhere in the my manuals. Is that because it does not have a specific torque and they just want you to use the general recommended torque table in the back of the manual? I have an 0-320 with conical engine mount. Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
Slightly different engine for me than the RV-4, but a recent email I received from Lycoming regarding the IO-540 stated that Lycoming recommends 25 foot-pounds.

You might want to watch Stu's Aircraft Factory (youtube), episode called "RV4 Engine Mount Installation." This guy built what looked to be a really nice RV8, finished up early last year. This year he is building an RV4 and recently made a video on mounting the engine mount. Engine Mount to Fire Wall, he used 160-180 inch-lbs. Take that for what it's worth, but he seems to know what he is doing.

Back