What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tight space Pop Riveter

GA FTEs

Hello,

I managed to purchase the Avery RV-12 builders tool kit just prior to them going out of business. The kit included a "POP" Riveter PRP-26A which is a hand squeezer with a small head clearance that allows one to place the tool very near to adjacent objects. e.g. when riveting L-shaped flanges onto the wing spar, where the drilled hole sits very close to the flange.

This tool unfortunately doesn't want to grip the shank of the LP4-3's anymore.
I've taken the thing apart to see if there are any adjustments to be made, and have come up short.

Has anyone else been able to fix this problem?

Or, does someone have an alternative tool suggestion to get into these tight spaces?

Thank you

Riveting problems

I was told if it didn't grip properly then to lube the jaws.
I have had some problems and after spraying with a teflon spray it worked great again so I would try it since there is nothing to loose.
It might be that the jaws are binding and not sliding back into the proper position

If nothing else you can always contact Bob Avery. He still has a shop and supplies some of the other tool warehouses. He just doesn't sell tools himself anymore. I had a problem with a squeezer and he was happy to help me out over the phone.

Yes, anyone else has, in my case a couple years ago. The problem turned out to be a lack of lubrication. Just a tiny amount of oil - I used air tool oil because I had it right there - on that little triangular shaped piece did the trick perfectly. Sorry, I don't recall what the part names are. It was either Bob Avery or Mike Lauritsen who clued me in on the oil.

My PRP-26A had stopped working altogether. I would NOT grip the mandrels anymore. That little bit of oil was all that was needed and it has been working fine ever since. Hope it works for you just as well.

You probably don't need to be told, but be extreeeemly careful when removing or reinstalling the E-clip that holds the whole show together. It wants to fly. It wants to fly a lot. DAMHIK. Lose it and your day is ruined. I found it weeks later.

Build on.

Hello,

I managed to purchase the Avery RV-12 builders tool kit just prior to them going out of business. The kit included a "POP" Riveter PRP-26A which is a hand squeezer with a small head clearance that allows one to place the tool very near to adjacent objects. e.g. when riveting L-shaped flanges onto the wing spar, where the drilled hole sits very close to the flange.

This tool unfortunately doesn't want to grip the shank of the LP4-3's anymore.
I've taken the thing apart to see if there are any adjustments to be made, and have come up short.

Has anyone else been able to fix this problem?

Or, does someone have an alternative tool suggestion to get into these tight spaces?

Thank you

I have the same tool. WD-40 works great to fix this.

Jerre

Thanks for all your suggestion. Here's what we ended up doing to fix this problem:

As was stated earlier in this thread by several other builders, there was too much friction on the mandrel grip (p/n PRP11A) for it to return to the gripping position. In order to relieve this friction, we lightly polished the bearing surface, being very careful not to remove too much material and reduce the life of the part (<0.001"). After polishing the surface we properly lubricated it as recommended on page 2 of the PRP26A instruction sheet. The tool works like it's brand new again! Here is an image of the polished bearing surface.

r1wobq.png

Back