What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Can i say WOW...

mdmba

So today was my first ride in Van's RV 10 in Aurora, OR. Me+Pilot+back seat passenger+50lb of lead weight...about 740lbs total in cabin. Runway is 5000 ft long if I'm not mistaken...we started at beginning, and before we hit the 4000 ft remaining marker, we were airborne and off we went...up up and away!! All is I can say is WOW!! So here is the kicker...and I kid you not...a Cirrus SR-22 takes off just a few minutes after we land...and she gobbled up about 1/2 the runway length.

I would not have believed if I wasn't there myself, the RV-10 is AMAZING!

My first ride was just as amazing - though it was in a 9A. I couldn't believe how fast we got off the ground and how quick we climbed. We were at full gross and flying out of Rifle Colorado - 6000' elevation. Now I am trying to get my 9A finished!

Oh, and welcome to the "gang".

Yup. Impresses me every time and I now have 248 hours. I took off last night from HIO (not far from Aurora) and I was seeing an easy 1600' FPM on climb out. I was solo and density altitude was -1600' but impressive nonetheless. I've taken off at 8000' density altitude with the family and bags and she doesn't stop impressing me.

You'll enjoy it!

Last edited:
RV-10 Performance, from the ground...

I watched once, as fellow Colorado pilot, Jim Berry, took off with my wife, my wife's friend and her teenage son in his RV-10. I was on the ramp with my newborn daughter, asleep in her stroller, about 1/3rd of the way down the runway, prepared to take video of the takeoff. I started filming when they made the turn onto the runway and throttled up. By the time they passed us, they were about 200 feet up in the air, and this was on summer day in Denver, with about a 9,500 ft Density Altitude! When my wife landed, I asked her what she thought of the takeoff, vs. the POS Cessnas we typically rented. She told me, "it was like riding in an elevator." :cool:

So today was my first ride in Van's RV 10 in Aurora, OR. Me+Pilot+back seat passenger+50lb of lead weight...about 740lbs total in cabin. Runway is 5000 ft long if I'm not mistaken...we started at beginning, and before we hit the 4000 ft remaining marker, we were airborne and off we went...up up and away!! All is I can say is WOW!! So here is the kicker...and I kid you not...a Cirrus SR-22 takes off just a few minutes after we land...and she gobbled up about 1/2 the runway length.

So have you ordered the tail kit yet? :D

I'm jealous! Every time I went to Van's - for the factory tour or even the day I purchased and picked up my empennage kit - either the weather was bad and the planes were in for maintenance or the -10 was loaned out for transition training. I'd really like to get my wife up in one since she's buying into this big time! (And it wouldn't hurt my feelings any for me to get MY test fight as well!)

a Cirrus SR-22 takes off just a few minutes after we land...and she gobbled up about 1/2 the runway length.

My lancair is similar to a Cirrus, and I always use 1/2 or more of the mile+ runway when taking off, gives me more time to scan my instruments and build up airspeed, no need to make every takeoff a "max performance/short field" takeoff

sometimes i'll just click trim up a few and let it fly itself off the runway, normal rotation around 75kts, this method rotates me at 95-100kts- nothing wrong with that

When I was switching hangers from Howell, MI to Gladwin, MI, I moved most everything using the RV-10. My wife brought the grand-kids to the hanger to see the plane and watch my departure. I had the rear seats removed and the plane was loaded to the gills including two top roll around tool chests filled with tools. I was a couple hundred pounds shy of gross weight with full fuel. A Cirrus was ahead of me and after he took off and cleared I did the same. When I got back home a couple hours later my wife commented right away that I was off the ground in half the time the Cirrus was. It was the first time she saw the RV-10 fly. I rotate the nose wheel off the ground at 65-70 knots and shes flying a moment later picking up airspeed and altitude like a home sick angel. I see no reason to keep driving the plane on the runway after 65-70 knots.

My first RV10 ride

My first RV10 ride was in the back seat for a trip to OshKosh. I was pleasantly surprised how comfortable it was and fast it was. I dont get to go up very often but when we left Aurora and were over Cascade locks what seemed like 5 minutes later I couldn't believe it.

I never got uncomfortable in the back seat either. We made one fuel stop the first day and then the second day was only about a 2 hour flight, so we didnt mess around getting there.

My first RV10 ride was in the back seat for a trip to OshKosh. I was pleasantly surprised how comfortable it was and fast it was. I dont get to go up very often but when we left Aurora and were over Cascade locks what seemed like 5 minutes later I couldn't believe it.

I never got uncomfortable in the back seat either. We made one fuel stop the first day and then the second day was only about a 2 hour flight, so we didnt mess around getting there.

I have gotten to fly in both the front seat and back seat of an RV-10. Veeery comfortable, with good visibility too. Now that being said, I still love the other Vans models for their flying capabilities (RV-7, RV-4). They make the 10 feel like you're driving a truck, which, in a sense, it is.. A fast moving, fast climbing, stable, cross-country family truckster. :D

Unless the airport you want to use only has an 1800 ' long runway (we have lots of those here in the PNW).

He said the runway was 5000ft long- just pointing out there's no reason to lift early for the cirrus- not every pilot flies the stall horn off the runway! I think he's itching for a reason to build :) order your kit!

tail ordered.

it took me 3 times at Vans to finally get a ride in the -10..the weather was always acting up...but finally the stars aligned...and off we went...needless to say..the tail was ordered :)

Back