What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin G3X RV-10 Autopilot Yaw Damper Option

g3xpert

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Hello,

We are pleased to announce that we are now shipping the RV-10 yaw damper option for RV-10 aircraft equipped with either G3X or G3X Touch systems.

The RV-10 yaw damper is a ground up, new design created specifically for the RV-10. The yaw damper servo bracket ties in nicely to the aft end of the pitch servo bracket for an extremely rigid, yet relatively light weight installation.

The yaw damper installation kit (P/N 011-02952-16) includes the servo bracket and all the hardware needed for installation including the bridle cables and attachment blocks. You will also need a right angle connector kit (P/N 011-02950-01) to keep the servo wiring away from the elevator torque tube, and of course, another GSA 28 autopilot servo. Your existing G3X or G3X Touch software is already capable of supporting the yaw damper servo.

The Rev. P G3X Installation Manual that has been available for a few weeks already includes all the installation guidance including this image.

RV10YDInstallation.jpg

image5.jpeg

Before someone asks, the bow shown attached to the servo arm is there to make absolutely sure the rudder cables can never become entangled with the servo arm.

You will need either the GMC 305 autopilot control panel with the YD button, or a G3X Touch PFD which supports using the yaw damper with the touch screen autopilot control panel. The yaw damper servo can be engaged independently of the roll and pitch axis servos should you wish to hand fly the aircraft while letting the yaw damper servo handle the rudder. Many aircraft with a yaw damper engage the yaw damper shortly after takeoff and leave it engaged until just before landing.

GMC305Small.jpg

AFCSwithYD.jpg

Just a reminder that anyone can order the GMC 305 autopilot control panel with the yaw damper (YD) button, even if you don't presently have a yaw damper. This version of the panel costs no more than the version without a YD button, so if there is ever a possibility you will install a 3rd servo, make sure to order the GMC 305 with a YD button (P/N 010-01169-20).

The pitch, roll, and yaw damper axis all use identical GSA 28 servos. Just like the pitch and roll servos, the yaw damper servo supports auto-trim if you have electric trim installed for the rudder.

I was fortunate enough to get a ride to lunch at Stearman field in Wichita a few months back in an RV-10 equipped with a 3 axis G3X autopilot including this yaw damper option. This particular RV-10 has electric trim on all three axis. After we sat back and watched the autopilot fly the climb, cruise, and descent while auto-trimming all three axis and keeping the ball centered, the pilot builder/owner asked me if he still gets to log this time. :)

Let us know if you have questions.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Thanks guys!

My question is. We have kicked around the idea of putting the YAW damper in our "RV-8". Is this the same type of install we would see in that case? Thanks again, and good work guys. Yours as always. R.E.A. III #80888

Yaw Damper in RV-8?

My question is. We have kicked around the idea of putting the YAW damper in our "RV-8". Is this the same type of install we would see in that case? Thanks again, and good work guys. Yours as always. R.E.A. III #80888

Hello Robert,

We haven't done the engineering analysis and 3D modeling to determine the hardware needed to install a GSA 28 servo as the yaw damper in any RV but the RV-10.

It is a pretty significant effort to design and test an installation like this, and even with all our tools, it took us a couple of iterations to get it right for the RV-10.

The RV-14 is so similar to the RV-10 that we hope this installation kit will also work there, but we haven't had a chance to verify this.

We will certainly consider adding yaw damper options for other aircraft based on the level of interest.

Another option is to create your own. Many builders have engineered their own yaw damper installation and connected it to the system.

Thanks,
Steve

Trim Necessary?

Can you give the pros and cons of having trim with this system. Seems like the AP could fly without it, so it would only be a question of whether or not you're hand flying and wanted it, correct? I've heard some 10 builders say they didn't install any aileron trim or rudder trim, and just us the AP for this, but I'm not sure how well that works. Please tell me your thoughts, regarding the Garmin system..

Just Incredible

I was in this same RV-10 while visiting my daughter a few weeks ago at KU. The owner had just installed the yaw damper. We went to lunch near Wichita and back. Wonderful and cool place to eat. What I found amazing is we flew the entire way back "hands-off" down to minimums in Lawrence KS. It was like the ball was stuck on dead center.

I totally get the owners comments about "can I still log the time".

PS: It was a gorgeous VFR day and the first time my wife had seen a finished RV-10. Up to that point she had just seen me in the garage with a bunch of metal (empennage).

Thanks again "Mr Owner"

Steve,
Is the right angle connector kit (P/N 011-02950-01) included in the top kit? For the price of the kit I hope it is included....

Yaw damper?

Is it really needed to have a yaw damper on a RV10? Please someone explain to me the purpose of a yaw damper.

Not trying to be sarcastic but if your wife doesn't like the tail end wig wagging in turbulence constantly then yes having one is needed. The cirrus aircraft have them and sure make the aircraft much more stable for those folks who are uneasy in turbulence.

Can you give the pros and cons of having trim with this system. Seems like the AP could fly without it, so it would only be a question of whether or not you're hand flying and wanted it, correct? I've heard some 10 builders say they didn't install any aileron trim or rudder trim, and just us the AP for this, but I'm not sure how well that works. Please tell me your thoughts, regarding the Garmin system..

Hello Mike,

Good question.

The pilot and the autopilot servos have a lot in common. A pilot hand flying the plane doesn't like to continuously correct for an out of trim control axis and neither does the autopilot servo.

Can both the pilot and the servo expend more energy and still fly the plane even when out of trim? Yes, most of the time, but the pilot's leg can place more force through the rudder pedal than the servo can apply.

In an ideal installation with trim motors attached to the GSA 28 autopilot servos, the servos detect when they are working against an out-of-trim condition using built-in torque sensors and drive the trim motors as necessary to eliminate the out-of-trim condition and neutralize the forces on the servo. When this happens, the servos need only to apply relatively small forces to fly the plane just as the pilot would when flying a plane that is in trim.

The yaw damper dampens the yaw axis movements and makes the ride more comfortable, especially for those in the back seat in turbulent air, and also assists the yaw trim in keeping the ball centered.

You should not expect the yaw damper to also be the yaw trim. The yaw damper servo can assist in keeping the ball centered, but the manual or electric yaw trim should do the heavy lifting and we recommend installing the yaw damper servo in combination with yaw trim.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Steve,
Is the right angle connector kit (P/N 011-02950-01) included in the top kit? For the price of the kit I hope it is included....

Hello Gaylon,

We provide the connector kits individually for most of the G3X devices to allow people to buy them separately and build the harness.

The right angle connector kit for the yaw damper servo is also sold separately which is why the separate part number is provided above and shown in the installation manual.

Thanks,
Steve

Not trying to be sarcastic but if your wife doesn't like the tail end wig wagging in turbulence constantly then yes having one is needed. The cirrus aircraft have them and sure make the aircraft much more stable for those folks who are uneasy in turbulence.

IM at a point on the build that would be easy to add whatever wiring for the yaw damper if needed so just trying to do my homework. I just haven't heard a lot of 10 owners who have talked about yaw damper added on their airplane. I hear some say rudder trim is needed and some say not needed, so I'm probably going to prepare the plane for rudder trim and possible yaw damper. Thank you for your input.

IM at a point on the build that would be easy to add whatever wiring for the yaw damper if needed so just trying to do my homework. I just haven't heard a lot of 10 owners who have talked about yaw damper added on their airplane. I hear some say rudder trim is needed and some say not needed, so I'm probably going to prepare the plane for rudder trim and possible yaw damper. Thank you for your input.

As you mentioned, some say yes and some say no. I am installing the yaw servo and have already installed the rudder trim. As Steve mentioned having the rudder trim would help reduce the required torque on the servo in some situations. With the ability for the yaw servo to also control the rudder trim it makes since in my mind to have both.

As you mentioned, some say yes and some say no. I am installing the yaw servo and have already installed the rudder trim. As Steve mentioned having the rudder trim would help reduce the required torque on the servo in some situations. With the ability for the yaw servo to also control the rudder trim it makes since in my mind to have both.

i think i would like to do it as well. its just overwhelming all the things a person can do to their airplane.

It certainly is overwhelming to think of all the things you can do to your airplane, but I humbly advocate taking a deep breath, stepping back, and considering first your overall goals. If your goal is to build an airplane with every possible add-on, then go for it. But if your goals are more function oriented, then you need to consider the actual outcomes with and without the add-ons. Considering the first 80 hours of flight in my RV-10, I haven't yet noticed any yaw to be dampened, and the ball is nicely centered without trim except for takeoff and climb. I don't mind using my feet to center the ball in climb. I have the factory fuel valve too, it works well. ;) Everyone has their own personal goals and tastes, and that is what makes experimental aviation great. But, don't get sucked into the idea that you have to have all the add-ons in order to achieve a high level of functionality. I do love my G3X system,

Last edited:
For someone who's starting to build their RV10 and plans to use a G3X, should I make any special considerations during the empennage/fuselage building, or is this something that's easy to add later on (when I actually get the G3X)?

Thanks

For someone who's starting to build their RV10 and plans to use a G3X, should I make any special considerations during the empennage/fuselage building, or is this something that's easy to add later on (when I actually get the G3X)?

Thanks

Put in lots of wires for future use under the floorboards; but don't buy any avionics until you are nearly done. They change too fast, your plans may change by the time you are ready to install. It's easy enough to add after the fact if the wires are there.

Thanks

If you plan to add the Yaw Damper to the RV-10 at a later date I would suggest you drill out the lower two 1/8" rivets on each side of the bulkhead where the Yaw Bracket would attach. This is what I did in the picture shown by Steve. By using 4 #6 nut plates in these location you can easily add the Yaw Damper Bracket at a later time without having to first remove the entire battery tray and pitch servo to get at these 4 rivets.

Thanks

Ray Doerr
RV-10 (N519RV)

Is this available for the RV14

There was mention of this becoming available for the RV14. Has that come to light? Has anyone put the YD option on the 14 with the G3X.

Back