What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Finally... a *REAL* RV Grin!

colojo

Well Known Member
Some of you may recall that this newbie tailwheel pilot had a heck of a time landing my new (to me) RV-8 when I bought it last summer. Scared myself so bad in three attempts that I was afraid to fly it and almost sold it.

But I perservered and spent this past summer and fall getting dual tailwheel instruction in a brand new Xtreme Decathlon (my 8 has no rear controls). After 25 hours of dual and 50 landings in all conditions, I took my final dual flight this morning and then soloed in my RV-8.

MUCH SUCCESS! Two low passes, followed by two absolute greaser wheel landings! I love my RV-8 again, and I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders. Now I can't wait to fly it!

Since my original RV grin post was made while I was still trembling from my first bad landing last year, I decided to post today's RV grin, which is much more genuine!

Thanks to everyone on this terrific board for your advice and support.

IMG_2196-XL.jpg

Good one Joe:D

Methinks this may show up on the front page tomorrow.........................

Last edited:
Nice job Joe. As a fairly new tail wheel pilot I know it was challenging but once you get comfortable with it, she will become a part of you and you'll wonder how you ever flew "the other way" ;) Way to stick to it. . . it certainly is a great sense of accomplishment. Now go fly the heck out of your beautiful bird.

I know your feeling! Rvmills let me try and crash his 6 over and over again (I never really did get it) and the hype around the 8 had me super nervous about flying mine for the first time.

One morning the wind was calm, the airport was empty, and I had 40 gallons worth of go arounds to try and get it right! Now Vlad has me following him into little 1900x40 strips. :D

It definitely needs its respect but it's not the monster some make it out to be. Keep your crosswind limits low for a few hours and work your way up, in the mean time congrats!

Tailwheel landings

Joe,

Nice write up Joe. I retired from the military in '98 and had always wanted to fly a taildragger. I had a lot of flight time and was thinking, "Ah, how hard could this be?" Guess what, I had an experience just like you and almost gave up after my first taildragger flight. My Uncle flew P-47s and P-51s and convinced me to try again. Like you I gave it a couple more hours and the light came on. Now I tease the "training wheel" pilots around here (good natured fun). I love tailwheel flying and welcome you to this great fun.

Nice looking -8 by the way, want to post a couple more photos?
Oly

Nice going, Joe!
Was that N555XD you trained in with AFC? I am flying her for my BFR on Saturday. Been doing tailwheel training in the Citabria to get ready for my first flight in my Glastar (once completed). I call the Citabria my Summer plane. When it comes to landings, "Sum'r good, Sum'r not so good".

Sounds like you made the right move. It'd been a shame to wrinkle your -8 before you had a chance to appreciate what an amazing aircraft it is.

Enjoy the new skill and fun that will go along with it! See you around the skies in Colorado!

I understand completely

Many years ago I earned a tailwheel endorsement prior to flying my RV6 the first time. The first several times in a Champ and them Citaberia I felt like I was learning to fly (ground handling and take-off/landing) all over again. Once you "get it" its just practice, practice, practice.

Good to hear about another Colorado RV. I am based out of BJC and there are a bunch of RV's there too. Enjoy yours!!

genuine grin

that's a genuine grin if I ever saw one. congrats and that's a great looking aircraft!

That is a great grin. I saw a guy I hadn't seen before driving by my hangar today, and immediately recognized him as Joe, just from the photo.

Jim Berry
RV-10

I had a chance to meet joe today at KAPA. He graciously allowed me to drool all over his 8 for a bit today and sit in it. What a beautiful airplane! Thanks again Joe and congrats!
:D

Yes! One of the nicest interiors I've seen. Any chance of knowing paint type/color and more interior pics? Please...:)

Thank you for your kind words.

I was a buyer, not a builder, so I don't know all those details. But I'll go through the paperwork the builder gave me to see if I can find the answer to your paint questions. PM me your contact info and I'll send you more interior pix.

I have a tremendous amount of respect for those of you who build these airplanes. I've never seen an ugly RV.

That is a great grin. I saw a guy I hadn't seen before driving by my hangar today, and immediately recognized him as Joe, just from the photo.

Jim Berry
RV-10

Hi, Jim! It was nice to meet you today! Your 10 is gorgeous.

Congratulations, Joe! I predict many fun years of flying in your -8. Beautiful airplane... but then I think you know of my fondness for red airplanes and cars. :)

P.S. Don't forget to give your buddy Ron a ride next time you're out west!

Back