What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Advanced Flight Quick Panel System

fuse blocks?

Rob/Jenny - one comment, if I may... The integration provided by the Advanced Control Module is terrific. In looking at it I see one area of concern, the lack of expansion capability for additional electrical loads. As an example, where do I plug in a fuse for my electrically-heated seats? How about when I want to install a USB charging station while retaining my cigarette lighter power port? How about power for the cabin lighting circuit so we can see what we're doing when loading up the airplane and pre-flighting?

There do not appear to be any spare slots available in the fuse panel if one has an IFR-capable airplane. What is the contingency plan to deal with this?

Couldn't you just chain a fuse block off the power lead and wire that stuff outside of the AFS box?

Rob/Jenny - one comment, if I may... The integration provided by the Advanced Control Module is terrific. In looking at it I see one area of concern, the lack of expansion capability for additional electrical loads. As an example, where do I plug in a fuse for my electrically-heated seats? How about when I want to install a USB charging station while retaining my cigarette lighter power port? How about power for the cabin lighting circuit so we can see what we're doing when loading up the airplane and pre-flighting?

There do not appear to be any spare slots available in the fuse panel if one has an IFR-capable airplane. What is the contingency plan to deal with this?

Also, for those who have an existing panel in a flying airplane, what's the plan for selling the Advanced Control Module, switching panels and harnesses for the retrofit market? I've seen SO many homebuilt airplanes with an absolute rats nest of wiring behind the panel. I'd like nothing better than to be able to recommend the Advanced Control Module as a means of cleaning up some of those wiring disasters.

Where do I plug in a fuse for my electrically-heated seats?
I would use a separate fuse block for the heated seats. This can easily be done in parallel with the ACM module.

How about when I want to install a USB charging station while retaining my cigarette lighter power port?
We have been paralleling the USB charging port with the cigarette lighter port using the same fuse.

What is it missing for IFR? It has power for 3 EFIS screens, two coms, two navs, audio panel and a GPS.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems Inc. - A Dynon Avionics Company

Rob - thanks for your reply. You've confirmed what I had originally thought, that expansion slots for electrical loads are best handled through external fuse blocks. While the built-in fuses are designed to support a very capable IFR panel, the support for ancillary systems (like seat heat) will have to come from an ancillary circuit protection device. That's not a big deal, and I'm glad the question has been fully answered.

Now for the next question - is there any plan to make the Advanced Control Module and related harnesses and switching panels available for those doing a retrofit but not going so far as to totally replace their panel?

Again, I see the Advanced Control Module as filling a niche which very much needs filling.

Rob - thanks for your reply. You've confirmed what I had originally thought, that expansion slots for electrical loads are best handled through external fuse blocks. While the built-in fuses are designed to support a very capable IFR panel, the support for ancillary systems (like seat heat) will have to come from an ancillary circuit protection device. That's not a big deal, and I'm glad the question has been fully answered.

Now for the next question - is there any plan to make the Advanced Control Module and related harnesses and switching panels available for those doing a retrofit but not going so far as to totally replace their panel?

Again, I see the Advanced Control Module as filling a niche which very much needs filling.

We have been doing quite a few panel replacements for flying aircraft. We designed the Quick Panel with the Advanced Control Module to be not only a great $ value but also easy to install. The customer ends up with a high-quality (AF-5000 or Skyview) panel with a new professionally engineered electrical system. If you have some existing equipment you would like to keep or some special requirements, just give us a call and we will work to find a solution. Our new panel, with the large screen Avidyne IFD540 navigator, is proving to be very popular and a real value for the customer. I have over 500 flight hours using the GTN650 in my RV-10 and we have the IFD540 in a Glasair Sportsman that we're using for testing. I am very impressed with how the IFD540 works and its many advantages. The large touch screen and side buttons make it easy to use even in turbulence, just like our touch screen EFIS.

16266452458_ab7241550d_b.jpg

$35,000

After a few days of work you will get a safer, more capable and valuable airplane

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems Inc. - A Dynon Avionics Company

Custom Quick Panel

Will you do a custom IFR quick panel for a customer? For example would you build the whole panel with only one screen and a Garmin 430W instead of the IFD540?

Model

I've modeled my panel after Rob's and the Quick Panel is a great combination of practicality and price. It looks great in Rob's plane @ OSH.

Back