What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mostly unedited video of my first race in Reno 2016

AX-O

Well Known Member
This is a video of my first race. It is mostly unedited so those of you that want to see the environment can see it real time. That being said, it is approx. 13 minutes long. In the video I point out the pylons and some of the things going through my brain at the moment.

You will also see a nice race from my point of view. I was going at it with#26 and #38.

https://youtu.be/qCxOB735cdc

Thanks for posting that Axel. Enjoyed watching you race. You guys look a lot closer to each other in the video than from the ground!!:eek:

Axel, is there a rulebook online? I'm curious about the rules for overtaking and passing.

Very cool! I just found myself leaning into the turns with you and yelling "Go! Go! Go!" at my computer screen! LOL.:D

I guess if you would want someone on a secondary com/radio you could do that. Some teams have telemetry and folks on the radio.

Axel, what speed and RPM were you (typically) running during the race?

Those outside/high passes sure make it tough on the overtaking aircraft!

Wow that was really cool, it's not like cars where if you bang fenders you might be out of the race you bang these up you'll really bang them up.

Got to be a nerve wracking experience to say the least.

Very impressed. What was the lowest altitude? Looked pretty darn low, and in the banked turns no less.

Axel,
That was great! Gives us all an idea of what is required. What version of Catto are you running? Craig just repitched my 2-blade, but I haven't flown it yet. Do you have any idea if the fastback makes any difference speed wise? I built a fastback RV8 and it looked faster at least. Yours looks faster. My RV4 has a small stop drilled crack in the standard canopy....... just thinking....

Glad people are enjoying the video.

For a "learning year", you did outstanding!

Congratulations!

Thank you. We did well. Much better than we expected. We set small goals at the time and did not get consumed by worrying about the outcome. First goal was to qualify. Once we achieved that, it was to pass one person. That was achieved on the video you see posted here. The next goal was to bring the plane home the same way it left. In the process of that, we passed 2 more people on the next race and qualified for the last race on sunday. Setting small goals as well as knowing we were not out there to win took the stress off. Maybe that had something to do with the outcome.

Axel, what speed and RPM were you (typically) running during the race?

That is a difficult question to answer as all that changes constantly and is seriously affected by traffic. Also, the airspeed reported on the web is the speed around the track, not your actual speed. The rpm was around 2850, my qualifying speed around the track was 220.8 mph. Our team timed me at 225ish for a few laps.

Those outside/high passes sure make it tough on the overtaking aircraft!

Sure do. The track becomes longer and you have to fly faster just to keep up with a slower plane. They say it takes about 6 mph advantage to pass. Not sure that is true but you do have to have a significant advantage or catch them on a mistake.

What was the lowest altitude? Looked pretty darn low, and in the banked turns no less.

The top of the pylons are 50 feet off the ground. You have to be above that. You also have to be above the "R" of reno on the home pylon. On my first qualifying attempt i was disqualified for low flying, meaning below the top of the pylon. They don't like you to do that. You can get sent home for that. I think we were around 75ish feet around the pylons. At other points like on the backside by the wind sock we were way lower than that.

Axel,
What version of Catto are you running? Craig just repitched my 2-blade, but I haven't flown it yet. Do you have any idea if the fastback makes any difference speed wise? I built a fastback RV8 and it looked faster at least. Yours looks faster. My RV4 has a small stop drilled crack in the standard canopy....... just thinking....

The blade is one of a kind right now. He is also making one for Bruce (SARL guy). I told Craig to start producing them but he has another trick up his sleeve. He is changing the blade again for more test. Not sure when it will be ready.

I don't have data that shows the fastback is faster because i have always been in this configuration. The book answer says it should but flight testing may prove otherwise. Jason shared that the flow behind his RV-8 canopy did not show signs of turbulent flow. He has done extensive testing/tuffting and has a very fast plane.

A word of caution, it will take you way longer than you think to do the fastback conversion (or any other mod).

Axel, is there a rulebook online? I'm curious about the rules for overtaking and passing.

Dan, and anyone that would like to view the Sport Class Air Racing training materials...

Our website has a training tab here: http://www.sportclass.com/training/

For your question Dan, scroll down to item 9, the PRS ground school presentation, and take a look at slides 77-81 (approx). Basic discussion of passing rules. The gist is that the guy ahead and inside owns the line, and his part of the contract is to fly smoothly and predictably if a passing attempt is underway (no wild gyrations or unloading...and we NEVER turn right. Doesn't mean there aren't tricks/techniques to employ, as long as they are executed safely...but I won't give them away here! ;)). The contract for the passing aircraft is to maintain sight throughout the pass, to not make the passed aircraft alter flight path, and to not complete the pass and move to the inside line until he has nose-to-tail separation and opening...or is cleared by the passed aircraft. It can be very dynamic, and nose to tail separation one instant can be gone the next. That's what the training and experience is all about. As Axel said, safety first! As you saw from his performance, he was very deserving of our Rookie of the Year award! :)

Cheers,
Bob

What is the advantage of being low?

That was really exciting to watch!!! Thanks for sharing. For most of us that is the closest we will ever get. Your attention to drag reduction clearly paid off.

What is the advantage of being low?

Think of the pylon as a cone vice a point. The lower you are, the closer you can get to it without being called for a cut. The shorter the track.

The pylon is basically a phone pole with a 55 gal drum on top. The drum does not have a top or bottom. At the base of the pole there is a judge. He or she is looking straight up the drum. If the see any part of your plane in the drum, you cut the pylon.

Think of the pylon as a cone vice a point. The lower you are, the closer you can get to it without being called for a cut. The shorter the track.

The pylon is basically a phone pole with a 55 gal drum on top. The drum does not have a top or bottom. At the base of the pole there is a judge. He or she is looking straight up the drum. If the see any part of your plane in the drum, you cut the pylon.

So it is harder to judge the exact location the higher up you are. I always wondered about that. I thought it was that there was less turbulence down there or something.

I never knew that another racer would clear you to pass. They certainly don't do that in Nascar!

When you land after a heat, or when the adrenalin wears off, you must be totally drained. That looks like way too much fun.

Scott, you are correct in the judgement of exact location vs altitude. Lower is easier to judge how close to the pylon you are, and how well you are flying your line. But it doesn't make lower always the best choice, as staying low and eating dirty air from the plane(s) ahead is rougher and slower. And the fastest line isn't always the closest to every pylon, due to the geometry of the course, and depending on the speed of the aircraft. Axel called it a cone, or similarly, you can think of it as a cylinder over the barrel, like the light beam over the Luxor in Las Vegas. Put your wing into the beam, and its a cut, like AC said. How close you can judge your proximity to the barrel does change with speed and altitude. As you learn to fly the course, you learn where to put your airplane to fly the fastest line, and how close to the pylon you can get without it being a cut (you don't really know till you cut one). And a position error or turn error on one side of the course has an impact on the next few pylons, perhaps all the way to the other side of the course. Then throw a few other planes in the way, and its a very interesting and challenging environment.

With respect to radio calls: The racer being passed is not required to make the call "you're clear". So as the passing plane, you need to make the judgement when you are clear. We train to temper aggressiveness with caution...and self-preservation. Fortunately, it's rarely a hard concept to teach! Safety first...come back to race another day!

Often the passes are silent. And there are stories where the racers attempting to pass said (for ex), "2-6, 8-7 on your right", and that's all 2-6 needed to hear to make an adjustment, plan a turn, etc, to stay ahead.

But we talk to each other as needed when it gets dynamic, such as approaching a tight turn and you see the guy behind and on your right coming up, but at your altitude, and you know you are about to go belly up to him (legal, because he still has the separation part of the contract as the passer). We may tell him we're going belly up, so he knows it's all on him for separation. Or say he's slightly in front but you have the inside line on the turn (the pass is not complete and he is not opening sufficiently)...we may say "2-6, hold your line", to let him know his nose to tail will not last, and it will not be safe to "close the door" and complete the pass.

Its not constant chatter, but timely calls when, and if, needed. The contest committee chairman complimented our class on our on-course communications. Something we are proud of, as it shows how good pilots, good procedures and good training can make a very dynamic environment a bit safer.

And FWIW, yes...it is very, very addicting! ;)

So if you watched Axel's video, and if you looked at the passing section of the training doc...did you notice AC's nice positioning, lap after lap, while setting up his pass? Methinks he read, listened, and applied it all quite well in the arena, eh! :) All the RV bubbas did a great job!!!

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited:
When you land after a heat, or when the adrenalin wears off, you must be totally drained. That looks like way too much fun.

For me personally, I try to leave the adrenaline out of the racing and fly in a completely relaxed state of mind. I think it's harder to fly precisely when the adrenaline is kicking in. I did have one practice race this year where I let adrenaline get to me a bit. In the Sunday Medallion final, I was part of a pack of 4 planes that were battling hard for second place and I felt very relaxed for the entire flight. The adrenaline and exhilaration really kicked in a few minutes after shut down when I starteted to reflect on what an awesome and fun race it had been!

Skylor

Nice Video!

Axel,

Thanks for posting. It was pretty neat to see the race from your point of view. How hard was it for you to monitor redline G's while flying, so as not to overstress the airframe?

How hard was it for you to monitor redline G's while flying, so as not to overstress the airframe?

Not hard at all. I was trying to make all my turns 2.5 Gs max (my goal was 2G pulls at 60 deg). That way I would not bleed the speed. I kind of forgot that after I passed 26 and started chasing 38. If you look at the video you will see a more aggressive roll in/out and G. I should have just stuck to my line.

Very cool video. As a car racer, A&P, and professional pilot looking at RV7 kits, this is a heck of a dream.

Thanks for this and the PRS posts. Keep them coming!

Nice job!

Looks great Axel. My heart rate went up watching. Medallion definitely had the most time and fun racing close to others.

I am going to make a video of the Sunday Bronze race for the benefit of those who want to see a Sport race from engine start to shutdown. I pretty much had my own air and no passing but I have ground and race control audio tied into the camera mounted to my helmet, another camera facing backwards and plan to add the announcer audio during the race. Once finished I will post a link.

Very cool video. As a car racer, A&P, and professional pilot looking at RV7 kits, this is a heck of a dream.

Thanks for this and the PRS posts. Keep them coming!

If I can do it, there is no reason why others can't do the same. glad you like the video.

I am going to make a video of the Sunday Bronze race for the benefit of those who want to see a Sport race from engine start to shutdown. Once finished I will post a link.

Jason, that would be cool. I am interested in seeing your lines. Also, if you get a chance, would still like to see your tuff video.

I attended the Air Races for first time on Friday. Seeing you all race was beyond what I imagined. You racers are seriously hauling and it's amazing how close you are to each other and the ground, especially on the first lap.

Thanks for sharing the cockpit prospective. It's impressive to see it from that angle. Yoy seem pretty relaxed and very focused. I found myself cheering you on as you skillfully passed your opponent in the video.

Congradulations on Rookie of the Year.

The metal militia has one more fan. Way to represent.

Back