Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-08-2022, 08:09 PM

Default Gust locks - RV-4

Hello Everyone-
Any ideas or suggestions for gust locks for all surfaces.
Must be portable.
Where can you buy something or has anyone home made these.

TIA !
Old 01-08-2022, 09:28 PM

Default Gustlocks

Air Gizmos
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...algustlock.php
RV-8 empenage finished 10-2020

Wings Started.. 11-2020
Old 01-09-2022, 04:45 AM

I would not recommend the Air Gizmos ones.
Reasons? I used them for a season but was not happy with them: The straps are stiff, the tension is difficult to adjust, they are quite heavy, and didn't hold well. More than one morning I found the one installed tightly on the previous night lying in the grass.
I then bought the Antisplat product which is very good, but unfortunately not available for the -4.

I'm sure that using a search engine with words such as "gust lock aircraft RV VAF" will return many a thread and ideas on the subject...

www.aerofun.ch

RV-6.9 #25685, slider, O-360-A3A (carb/dual Lightspeed II), MTV-12-B, HB-YLL owner & lover
RV-4 #2062 HB-YVZ airframe builder
Old 01-26-2022, 10:17 PM

Tie down the plane and pull the tailwheel tight towards the rear, insuring the tailwheel can't pivot to unlock the rudder. Then use front or rear lap belt to hold the stick aft and support it left/right. Zero dollar gust locks!
Old 01-27-2022, 11:03 AM

I agree with Fitz. The seatbelt is the most simple solution for the ailerons and elevator. Even if you're thinking about sitting it outside during "OSH21, Wednesday Night" level weather, just make sure you're pointed into the prevailing wind. But the Rudder is never really safe in any gusty winds, even if the tailwheel springs/chains/steering link is holding it.

I've found Steve Melton's Rudder Gust Lock design to be the only thing I'd trust in Oshkosh level storms. Everything else really torques on the entire assembly a bit much, inducing stresses in directions the rudder horn and hinges really wasn't intended for. Especially tailwinds.

Here's Steve's idea.

https://www.rvplasticparts.com/produ...dder-gust-lock

RV-4 N249P
O-320, Dual P-Mags, Warnke Prop, Short legs, Manual Flaps, GRT Sport EX
Old 01-27-2022, 11:11 AM

Default Steve’s gust locks +1

I’ve been using Steve’s gust locks for over a year on rudder, elevator and ailerons and found them quite good !!! Maybe a little expensive but so is the airframe.
Started RV-10 Nov 2020. Empennage arrived (Built) Working on QB kits. Garmin avionics, Vertical Power, EFII-32 Ignition and Fuel, Whirlwind 3 blade, EarthX batteries, real airplane hopefully early 2024. Paid subscriber and more. (Worth every dollar contributed).
Old 01-28-2022, 09:00 AM

For the rudder I made a simple lock from scrap that pins the rudder horn to the rudder stop:
- I drilled a vertical hole in the rudder horn and the rudder stop.
- I placed two pins in a 7/8W X 4ishL X 1/8 thick plate at the distance to hold the rudder in trail.
I used no.4 screws for the pins and used nuts as spacers as required so the plate sits level and clears the vertical portion of the rudder horn angle.