What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Moving to the airport

Av8torTom

Well Known Member
Hello folks, I?m ready to move my 9A to the airport. I thought I had access to an enclosed trailer, but discovered it?s too narrow, so I?m looking to rent something. What should I be searching for?

Getting a flat bed tilt bed trailer with a winch is the way to go.

I used a trailer with a ramp for off road vehicles and it worked out great.

Call around local equipment supply/autoshops. I was able to rent one from a welding shop for $90. Worth every penny.

One with a wood floor is nice because you can screw blocks of wood onto the floor to prevent the wheels from rolling. You can also throw straps over the wheels and screw them to the bed to keep the wheels from bouncing.

Getting a flat bed tilt bed trailer with a winch is the way to go.

+1. Make sure it's wide enough for the airplane (I have a -10, and the local rental place had 2 tilt-beds. But only one was wide enough).
Make sure you really tie it down. A truck suspension will show you bumps that you never thought were there.

Try Calling the local towing company and have them bring over the tilt flat bed. Probably your least expensive and least painful.:)

2 more cents

Moved a couple projects this year using about the same method with good results. Weather dependent, I actually prefer the open trailer for easier access to things, generally more tie down points, and to keep an eye out for unwanted movement.

Here's a shot from picking up my father's new-to-him RV-8 over the summer.

49057019863_3e869dbf5a_c.jpg
[/url]Rv-8

I prefer to strap directly around the main wheels/over the axles (being mindful of brake lines etc). Securing the aircraft by its main wheels lets the spring gear do its job on the drive home.

Versus strapping to things like tie down rings or engine mounts which still allow for your gear to flex (up/down, fore/aft etc), slacking and twangin' your straps :eek:

Extra strap was then wrapped/tied up to keep it from blowing around (hence why it looks like a jumble of strap).

Not shown is the strap that went around the tail wheel, and the tailwheel turned 180 degrees to keep it well away from the edge.

A must-have if the prop is on is a sling to stop it from trying to windmill.

Either sturdy gust lock, or a seatbelt around the stick to keep elevators from dancing.

A winch would have been nice, but the low trailer let the three of us wheel it up a couple ramps fairly easily.

No road rash, dings or departed parts on the 80 mile freeway drive home, just a whole lot of thumbs up :cool:

And, if you don't already have it, pre-move would be a good time to look into insurance.

I went with my local towing company and used one of their flat bed tow trucks. The tow truck driver was a pure pro, did this a few times already, and did a great job strapping the fuse to the truck.

i-xXs3z52-L.jpg

Worked perfectly to get the fuse to the airport. For the he remainder, I used a 15' u-haul and two trips to cart all the junk (and A/C parts) in the garage to the hangar. Moved all everything to the hangar by 3pm .. great day!

Last edited:
Plus 1 for using a rollback flat bed. That's how I moved my RV-10 the 12 miles to the airport and it was rock solid strapped down. It did not budge.
For the 700 mile trip on my RV-9A, I used my 20' car hauler. I had it strapped down well and wrapped it up with shrink wrap to protect it from road rash and the elements. It also did not budge. The wings and control surfaces are in the wood crate I built underneath the fuselage.
39475072645_4e382a4646.jpg
[/url]IMG_0027 by David C, on Flickr[/IMG]
35653720293_f621c30477_o.jpg
[/url]20638899_10209132921260198_4580464348683668580_n by David C, on Flickr[/IMG]

Have you tried your local EAA chapter? My local chapter has a trailer they loan out to members to use for moving projects.

Don't know if you plan on transporting with the horiz. stab attached, but I would recommend removing it for the move. Trees, sign posts and a variety of other obstacles pose a serious risk to major damage.
Good Luck with the move!

Back