What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Super-7 N713DR Early Testing Results

DRBuilder

Well Known Member
I think this is going to be one AWESOME cross country machine!!!!!!
Indicated Airspeed: 204 mph, TRUE airspeed 230 mph, 12.2 GPH HELLO!!!!!!!!! :eek:
Follow this link to my builder website to see a snapshot photo of my Dynon Skyview PFD during one of my early test flights....
http://www.drrv7.com/Performance.html

smokin'

I'm interested in the modifications you made to enable the IO-540 install. Thicker skins? lengthened fuse? fuel capacity? etc....

Dennis,

Very nice!! I was wondering about the parameters (ALT, MP, RPM, etc), but saw those in the picture (6700 MSL, about 23 squared...good stuff!). I've re-posted that pic here, so I can follow it with some others (hope ya don't mind!)

DBs%252520Panel.jpg

Those are very close to the numbers I see at the same settings, so it sounds like the S7 and S6 are nicely matched! I don't have pictures of that regime, but here are some pics from a recent X-C to the Rocket 100 race in Taylor...it'll give you another look at how great your plane will go X-C!

13,500 MSL, WOT, 2100 RPM, LOP = 187 KTAS (215 MTAS) @ 8.9 gph!
24 SMPG...@ 200+! 4 cylinder RV's can do better (MPG-wise), of course, but fly-along fuel flow when flying with RV bro's is surprisingly close.

X-C%252520to%252520R100%252520EFIS.jpg

X-C%252520to%252520R100%252520VM1000.jpg

With my legacy Dynon and VM, it takes 2 pics to show what you show on 1 screen, and its not quite as purty as yours (I have EFIS envy! ;)). Here's a shot looking out on this leg, which was 595 NM from Beaver, UT to Brownfield, TX, done in 3.1 (including taxi); fillup was 27.63 gals (22 NMPG, 24+ SMPG).

X-C%252520to%252520R100%252520Monument%252520Valley.jpg

You will enjoy those Cross Countries! :)

Hey, speaking of races...can Dennis come out and play next spring? :D
(Shhhh...be vewy, vewy qwiet...we aw hunting Wockets! :p)

Have fun with your new machine! Sure is a beauty!

Cheers,
Bob

I am quite impressed! As an RV7 lover that cannot have one, is this a one off or are there others so endowed with power?

I think I'd be a bit concerned with the CHT's and the spread you have there. Two cylinders over 400 two more in the 390's and one down at 306. Any thoughts on why the one is so low and several are very high?

The skyview seems to indicate a 99 mph crosswind condition. Wow, really?

Erich

Better not brag too much until you have calibrated your airspeed. I started out with a 240 mph RV-8 :p

Go here: http://www.kilohotel.com/rv8/phplinks/index.php?&PID=1

Dennis,

Dan has a good point. I doubt you were braggin' as much as celebrating ;), but the 99 knot wind indication that Eric saw (sharp eyes Eric!) was something I saw on my Garmin 396 before I calibrated my compass, per the Dynon manual. I also have run many 4 way GPS runs and used the 4 way NTPS spreadsheet from Kevin's site (Dan's link) to calibrate my airspeed indicator. Interestingly, I've found it to read about 2 knots high, which is the delta I see in my pics above (between the GPS-derived TAS shown on the HSI and the Dynon TAS, shown on the ADI).

That's part of the fun of Phase I though...wringing out and calibrating all these types of things. Your speeds are believable from my experience, but it will be fun to see how it settles in via testing. The invitation to race still stands (no pink slips...just fun! :D).

Cheers,
Bob

Temp Spread

I think I'd be a bit concerned with the CHT's and the spread you have there. Two cylinders over 400 two more in the 390's and one down at 306. Any thoughts on why the one is so low and several are very high?

Since that photo was taken, I have installed a baffel plate in front of the #1 cylinder and that has dramatically leveled the temp range between cylinders. Now the spread tends to be around 20 degree dirrerence max. If I could figure out how Bob posted the shot of my PFD, I would post an updated photo with the CHT spread of less than 20 now. The baffel worked perfectly.

Last edited:
what is VNE on the 7. didn't see it on vansaircraft.com...just curious

Right there at 240. Air was smooth so I went for it. That's what you're supposed to do while you are testing... push the envelope. I certainly don't plan to cruise at 240 mph.

Dennis,

Very nice!! I was wondering about the parameters (ALT, MP, RPM, etc), but saw those in the picture (6700 MSL, about 23 squared...good stuff!). I've re-posted that pic here, so I can follow it with some others (hope ya don't mind!)

DBs%252520Panel.jpg

Those are very close to the numbers I see at the same settings, so it sounds like the S7 and S6 are nicely matched! I don't have pictures of that regime, but here are some pics from a recent X-C to the Rocket 100 race in Taylor...it'll give you another look at how great your plane will go X-C!

13,500 MSL, WOT, 2100 RPM, LOP = 187 KTAS (215 MTAS) @ 8.9 gph!
24 SMPG...@ 200+! 4 cylinder RV's can do better (MPG-wise), of course, but fly-along fuel flow when flying with RV bro's is surprisingly close.

X-C%252520to%252520R100%252520EFIS.jpg

X-C%252520to%252520R100%252520VM1000.jpg

With my legacy Dynon and VM, it takes 2 pics to show what you show on 1 screen, and its not quite as purty as yours (I have EFIS envy! ;)). Here's a shot looking out on this leg, which was 595 NM from Beaver, UT to Brownfield, TX, done in 3.1 (including taxi); fillup was 27.63 gals (22 NMPG, 24+ SMPG).

X-C%252520to%252520R100%252520Monument%252520Valley.jpg

You will enjoy those Cross Countries! :)

Hey, speaking of races...can Dennis come out and play next spring? :D
(Shhhh...be vewy, vewy qwiet...we aw hunting Wockets! :p)

Have fun with your new machine! Sure is a beauty!

Cheers,
Bob

Thanks Bob. I'm looking forward to it!

The skyview seems to indicate a 99 mph crosswind condition. Wow, really?

Erich

I was curious about that myself. Going to email Dynon with this photo to see what their thoughts are. Obviously I wasn't flying in 100 mph at 6,000' (Or at least I didn't notice I was) It was completely smooth air but it looks like the map was showing a pretty good crosswind track? Not sure. Still have lots of testing and calibrating to do. I'll keep everyone updated here.

that equats to 230 mph right? so does a super 7 require an altered POH and extra testing during phase 1

that equats to 230 mph right? so does a super 7 require an altered POH and extra testing during phase 1

I would think that would have to be altered in the super seven. Van's has the VNE red line 's in the build manual Section 15 pg 23 for the 7 at 230 mph or 200 kts IAS and that is what I used

Since that photo was taken, I have installed a baffel plate in front of the #1 cylinder and that has dramatically leveled the temp range between cylinders. Now the spread tends to be around 20 degree dirrerence max. If I could figure out how Bob posted the shot of my PFD, I would post an updated photo with the CHT spread of less than 20 now. The baffel worked perfectly.

Sounds good. Looks like you have a nice bird there!

The only air data not suspect on that screen shot is the gps gs. You will need to calibrate your compass, verify your IAS and OAT to get all your numbers correct.

The only air data not suspect on that screen shot is the gps gs. You will need to calibrate your compass, verify your IAS and OAT to get all your numbers correct.

Work still in progress. 8 Hours into testing with plenty more to go. It IS exciting to see the initial numbers. I'm sure they will change slightly but I would guess not dramatically, based on some figures from other 540 7's and 6's that have been flying for thousands of hours (combined)

Oh I know it will most definately be awesome and fast!!! Just get hung up in the details of those numbers till you get all that stuff accurate.

POH is not required...

Every homebuilt requires and altered POH and his Super-7 requires the same testing as every other experimental built.

It is my understanding that a POH is not a specifically required... okay to have of course, but the operating limitations document meets the requirements.

I had the same X wind issue in my RV8 with Skyview. I calibrated compas again which made no difference, Dynon avionics said it was my OAT probe reading wrong. I checked it with a hand held on the ground and it was fine but in the air it was 9 deg C out (the probe is at the back and was picking up exhaust/engine heat) There is a menu to offset it, and it's now perfect and X winds are much more accurate

Dave

Dennis,

Here's the pic you sent...sorry it took so long to post...traveling to ID today to pick up an HRII to ferry for a friend :D (will see if it hits your numbers! ;))

IMG_2973.JPG

This pic shows Dennis' tighter temp spreads, as he described. This time the wind arrow show 74 knots...possibly still suspect.

On the sensor calibration...Brantel's advice is good (he knows avionics and Dynon's), and he and the other gent that mentions his issues with OAT got my attention too.

I've always thought that the compass cal was the most critical piece to the GPS wind readout reliability, and have done many cals. I have limited trust in the wind readout from my 396...sometimes it makes good sense, per local forecasts and others' wind readouts nearby, and other times its just nonsensical, even when it did not read that 99 kts (which I have not seen for a long time). I've often thought it was just the GPS getting its bearings straight out of a turn...especially a high-speed 4 -way GPS test run.

I do know my OAT reads high as I go faster, because I've tested it with a speed change (up and and back), and it gained 5 degrees going from 70 KIAS to 170 KIAS (constant altitude). I know this skews my TAS readout, and thus the wind calculation, but at a constant speed, how impacting do you avionics pros think this will be to things such as wind readouts?

The OAT is under my H-stab, and I'm considering recessing it back inside the skin, but wonder if anyone has any ideas or thoughts on how to get really stable GPS wind calculations, if I have good cals on my compass, IAS and OAT?

Perhaps thread drift a bit, but perhaps it will help Dennis verify these great numbers he's seeing.

Cheers,
Bob

NB your compass not reading correctly will produce X-Wind errors, your TAS calc (either OAT or Pitot errors) will produce fore/aft Wind errors.

Flying a GPS triangle will not only help calibrate the TAS / IAS side, but also output the actual wind - so if you record the wind readout at the same time you can begin to track the errors down.

Back