What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Warning Signs in Pilots: What Scares the Experts

David-aviator

Well Known Member
AVEMCO is hosting several forums at OSH, the first being on Tuesday.

As copied from an email -

Date: Tuesday, July 28
Time: 8:30 a.m. - 9:45 a.m.

Presenters: Jim Lauerman, President of Avemco Insurance Company; Bill Rhodes, Ph.D., former Philosophy department head at the U.S. Air Force Academy.

Description: Avemco President Jim Lauerman will share his unique perspective on the key causes of aircraft accidents. His insights are based upon claims data, his 35 years of experience as a flight instructor and insurance executive, and research sponsored by Avemco. Jim will be joined by researcher Bill Rhodes, Ph.D., who will reveal some interesting initial findings about accident-causing pilot behavior.

This is an example of very good stuff to be taken in while at the event.

Just don't be taken in by Avemco's sales people. In my experience they are the most expensive insurance choice out there. Listen, learn, but just don't buy.

I don't buy the notion that some pilots are predisposed to having an accident. Frankly, I am in the upper 5% of pilots in terms of skill, knowledge and some other good word.

Uh huh....

I don't buy the notion that some pilots are predisposed to having an accident. Frankly, I am in the upper 5% of pilots in terms of skill, knowledge and some other good word.

Good looks Ron, you forgot good looks. :rolleyes:

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Description: Avemco President Jim Lauerman will share his unique perspective on the key causes of aircraft accidents. His insights are based upon claims data, his 35 years of experience as a flight instructor and insurance executive, and research sponsored by Avemco. Jim will be joined by researcher Bill Rhodes, Ph.D., who will reveal some interesting initial findings about accident-causing pilot behavior.

It would be interesting to read these findings about accident-causing pilot behavior.

I have been unable to locate the list of questions that accident investigators ask after an accident/incident, but I believe one of them was, "When was the last time (before the accident) that the pilot had anything to eat (what & when)?

How many of us have blasted off at O-dark-:30 being fortified with only a cup of coffee, or less?

My point: what other things might we be reminded of (not that we superior aviators ever forget anything) before we unwittingly put ourselves in some graveyard spiral?

Barney in Memphis

Back