What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alternator Recommendations?

BlakeB

Well Known Member
Gents,

I have had 2 Altenator failures in the last year. I am not going with the cheaper automotive option again. I have a RV6 with a 0-360 and dual electronic ignition.

What is my best most reliable option?

Thanks in Advance!

[thread moved out of Classifieds; S. Buchanan]

Last edited by a moderator:
hmm

did both fail in the same way... if yes then why... is there something upstream causing failure. I don't even have a plane yet but I think the question is why a double failure not just throw a new part at it...again. if I do not ask, I will not learn. cheers

I also would want to know what could be causing the failures before I possibly put a much more expensive alternator at risk. I have an automotive alternator on my O-320 with hundreds of hours on it, no issues.

Chris

I also would want to know what could be causing the failures before I possibly put a much more expensive alternator at risk. I have an automotive alternator on my O-320 with hundreds of hours on it, no issues.

Chris

I agree with Chris.
I just swapped out my automotive alternator 2 weeks ago after 960 hours & replaced it with a 1990 Suzuki Samari. $67.45. Advanced Auto Parts.

Last edited:
I agree with the others. Do some more research on the root cause before jumping from the pan to the fire. I hear more about Plane power alternator failures on this board than I do auto alternator failures. "aviation grade" isn't always better. B&C appears to make very reliable products, but the cost is high.

280 hours on my $35 alternator.

Larry

I agree with Chris.
I just swapped out my automotive alternator 2 weeks ago after 960 hours & replaced it with a 1990 Suzuki Samurai. $67.45. Advanced Auto Parts.

Yup. My last Auto Zone unit lasted 5 years and 702 hours. Replaced with another new (reman) unit under the lifetime warranty; it's still going...

You couldn't give me a Plane Power.....they are owned by Hartzell Technologies. When I had an issue with a newly refurbished 70 amp on the Bonanza.....they would not stand by it....B&C would be my only choice.
BWTHDIK

5 Homebuilts, 6,000+ hours. All have B&C alternators, regulators and starters. Zero issues; zero failures. I will not use anything else, my 14 will be similarly equipped.

My 70 amp PP out of a Mooney is performing well so far.....just another data point, regulator is inside cabin with me.

Hybrid option: B&C regulator, automotive alternator modified for external regulation.

Best of both worlds - reliable wire attachment and robust regulator, yet inexpensive and easy to find replacement alternators on the road at the local auto parts store if needed.

Hybrid option: B&C regulator, automotive alternator modified for external regulation.

Best of both worlds - reliable wire attachment and robust regulator, yet inexpensive and easy to find replacement alternators on the road at the local auto parts store if needed.

How easy is it to modify on the road?

How easy is it to modify on the road?

That requires opening the Alternator and snipping/moving wires (sometimes easy, sometimes not, based upon the specific alt). I recommend buying an alternator setup for external regulation. Choices are more limited, but more user friendly. I got an ND alt setup for external regulator, as well as CC rotation. 50 amp capacity and $35 at Amazon.

I still believe that most alt failures (auto & aviation) are due to a failed internal VR. It is a very hostile environment for an electronic device.

Larry

Last edited:
B&C for Me

After extensive research, I replaced the automotive alternator on my -4 with a B&C. I've only got about 150 hours on it but it runs like a top. I especially like that I can adjust the external regulator to the higher voltage that's best for charging my AGM battery.

PP ALternator

1360 Hrs on a Plane Power alternator with zero issues. I do have an air cooling tube pointed at the back side.....

Problem Solved

So maybe I jumped to conclusions. My mechanic dug into the problem and found the plug that clicks in came loose. Plugged her back in a she works. We will see for how long..... Really appreciate everyone's quick replies!

Workalble Alternator/Regulator Combo O-360's

I installed the Transpo regulator & the AutoZone alternator on my RV-4; had to fabricate an alternator bracket. Bracket: used 1' x 1 1/4" x1/4" flat stock steel; cut off two pieces 1 1/4" x 1 1/4"; welded one piece on the end of stock; bored holes in both pieces for alt. bolt(s); positioned second piece by bolting on alt; measured overall length of bracket to correspond with two alt. bracket holes and one stud hole on engine case. Measure & bore forward hole for attaching bracket, first - take your time & get that hole right. Height of two pieces to connect alt. might vary; measure carefully.

I installed the AutoZone alternator P/N 14118 on one of the retractable gear RV-4's five years ago, still going good.

CPGENERATOR.COM
12V FORD HD ADJUSTABLE VOLTAGE REGULATOR - preset @ 14.2v
Item# Transpo F540HD $26.99 USD
Shipping and handling $8.00 USD
$34.99
AutoZone Regulator also works:
http://www.autozone.com/batteries-s...or/duralast-voltage-regulator/130187_887935_0
Part Number: VR730 $ 23.99

Alternator/Autozone
1976 Chevrolet Truck Luv 1.8L 2BL SOHC 4cyl
http://www.autozone.com/batteries-s...lternator/duralast-alternator/334268_479962_0
Price: $35.99 Core: $10.00 Total: $45.99

Wiring as per Sam Buchanon:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=107239&highlight=external+voltage+regulator -page 1
“A readily available regulator that has seen widespread use on RVs is 1975 Ford LTD, available at your local auto parts store.
Wire it like this:
I -- no connection
A -- jumpered to "S"
S -- jumpered to "A", also connected to your alternator switch from the field CB
F -- connect to field terminal of your alternator
case -- securely bonded to ground (i.e. mount on firewall and insure good electrical bonding)”

Barney in Memphis
RV-3 & RV-4 flying
Saved by BasicMed!

Last edited:
60 or 40?

Alternator/Autozone
1976 Chevrolet Truck Luv 1.8L 2BL SOHC 4cyl
http://www.autozone.com/batteries-s...lternator/duralast-alternator/334268_479962_0
Price: $35.99 Core: $10.00 Total: $45.99

I haven't seen that ALT mentioned before. Externally regulated - check. Fan appears to spin the right way. 60amps - nice. Strange thing is when you go to bbbind.com, their specs show it as a 40amp.

Either way a great find. Mind including a pic of your fabricated bracket?

Mentioned Retractable Gear RV-4 - will be for sale, soon.

I have no info, seller will post in for sale.
nov_zpsijlqmgcp.jpg

For info on retractable gear, RV-4, contact: Steve Price, 901-277-7835, [email protected]; aircraft will be going to Oshkosh.

Last edited:
Back