What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Torque wrench recommendations

Mark Jackson

Patron
I have a couple of torque wrenches I bought for like $50 apiece. They are okay but now that I'm getting to important things like fastening tank attach bolts, I'd like a decent, reliable torque wrench. Being cheap (I own a Mooney after all), I'm reluctant to pop $400 for a Snap-On. Is there anything between the low end and the high end?

There are many quality torque wrenches out there for around $200. Gear Wrench has torque wrenches that are good quality. I have several brands, including Gear Wrench, Snapon, S&K, and Craftsman. Stay away from the Harbor Freight stuff. Also, remember that clicker type wrenches need to be stored with the torque setting to the lowest setting, in order to avoid changing the set in the internal spring and affecting the torque value. A lot of experts use the beam style wench for accuracy/repeat ability, but I find their scales difficult to read easily in confined spaces.

I have a couple of torque wrenches. One larger one that I use when I'm doing car repairs, it's a craftsman. Watch for sales on these. The other one which I bought for the kit assembly is a cdi 1/4" drive. I can't remember where I bought it from but they are sold on amazon. Check your table of torque values that you will need to make sure you get the right one. For AN3 bolts this value is pretty small. I also have a 1/4" to 3/8" adapter that I use for sockets. If they make the same torque wrench in a 3/8" drive that may be a better choice but I guess it depends on your set of sockets which is more convenient. The cdi wrench is a quality tool but you'll need to spend a few bucks.

I have a couple of torque wrenches. One larger one that I use when I'm doing car repairs, it's a craftsman. Watch for sales on these. The other one which I bought for the kit assembly is a cdi 1/4" drive. I can't remember where I bought it from but they are sold on amazon. Check your table of torque values that you will need to make sure you get the right one. For AN3 bolts this value is pretty small. I also have a 1/4" to 3/8" adapter that I use for sockets. If they make the same torque wrench in a 3/8" drive that may be a better choice but I guess it depends on your set of sockets which is more convenient. The cdi wrench is a quality tool but you'll need to spend a few bucks.

For lighter torque applications (95% of everything on our RV's) I much prefer a dial type torque wrench over the clicker type.

Here's and example of one that Spruce sells:

12-0531.jpg

Skylor

CDI

CDI make some quality torque wrenches. I have 1/4 & 3/8.
I was told CDI makes them for Snap On.

Some things can be had as good deals on ebay, and torque wrenches seems to be one of them.
I got Snap-On torque wrenches for about .50 on the dollar or less and if you buy carefully you can get ones that are practically new. After buying 3, I got them calibrated and none required adjustment.

IMO, Snap On makes some of the best whether you like the click type or the dial type.

I have a KD Tools 1/4" drive 5-50 inch-pound torque wrench that I LOVE! I also have a large Sears Craftsman that is just OK.

The KD Tools torque wrench is very small, so it fits where my other torque wrenches won't.

I do remember paying well over $100 for it 15 years ago, probably around $180. While expensive, it was money well spent!

Another vote for CDI/Snap-On.
After much research I purchased the following ones from toolsdelivere.com last year and have been very satisfied with them. The torque screwdriver is great for #8 screws and AN3 bolts, and would be the one I use the most.

TOOLS DELIVERED.COM
CDI 5-50inlb torque screwdriver $132
CDI 20-150inlb torque wrench $106
CDI 100-750inlb torque wrench $97

Regards,

Tom.

After digging around in the hangar, I made the happy discovery that I have a craftsman 3/8" torque wrench. I got it for torquing the oil filters on the Mooney, forgot it was there.

I will investigate the CDI dial type for doing a lot of the smaller bolts on the RV.

Thanks a bunch for all the replies.

Harbor Freight has a digital torque measuring device that you can use on any ratchet. Around $30 and very accurate, worth looking at!

Buy decent quality.

My recommendation is that you should not scrimp on your torque wrenches. It's dangerous to under-torque aircraft fasteners and maybe more dangerous to over-torque them. As with everything else in life, you get what you pay for.

You'll need those torque wrenches, not just to build the aircraft but to constantly maintain it over the years.

I suggest you look at the Warren & Brown range of deflecting beam torque wrenches. They're not cheap but the pros use them.

The problem with the el-cheapos is that they're generally not accurate to start off with and they lose calibration quickly....and most builders/maintainers never have them recalibrated. Warren & Brown are generally good for 10,000 cycles. I've got one Warren & Brown that is almost 20 years old and it has never needed recalibration.

There's a lot of fasteners on an aircraft that are super critical such as exhaust stud nuts. These are subjected to massive vibration and extremes of temperature. They require precision torquing... and then retorquing at every annual. I wouldn't be doing this with a $30 torque wrench because the ramifications of applying a torque outside of the specified range can be very dire indeed.

Another vote for CDI/Snap-On.
After much research I purchased the following ones from toolsdelivere.com last year and have been very satisfied with them. The torque screwdriver is great for #8 screws and AN3 bolts, and would be the one I use the most.

TOOLS DELIVERED.COM
CDI 5-50inlb torque screwdriver $132
CDI 20-150inlb torque wrench $106
CDI 100-750inlb torque wrench $97

Regards,

Tom.

Thanks for that link - $100 USD less for 20-150in-lb 1/4" at this site than Cleaveland tools. Shocking. CDI only offers one model like that.

Thanks for that link - $100 USD less for 20-150in-lb 1/4" at this site than Cleaveland tools. Shocking. CDI only offers one model like that.

Are they genuine? That is a great price and I might be tempted (if they will post me one overseas) but something is telling me that if it looks too good to be true..............

Vintage Beam Style Torque Wrenches

I suggest you look at the Warren & Brown range of deflecting beam torque wrenches. They're not cheap but the pros use them.

Another vote for beam-style torque wrenches. I've had good experience buying vintage Sturtevant beam wrenches. Inspect them carefully to make sure the beam is not bent, and have them verified. They will last for years, unlike my experience with the clicker type wrenches. Even unloading my clicker after every use it didn't make it 10 years.

Are they genuine? That is a great price and I might be tempted (if they will post me one overseas) but something is telling me that if it looks too good to be true..............

A very good question. It did not have a model number, but I went to the CDI site and their catalog only listed one model like that. The low cost site does post the logo for CDI and other quality tool manufacturers. In inquiry to CDI about them as an authorized reseller, and to the site for model number confirmation would certainly not be over the top. If the prices are real, I might just upgrade. My son will be happy for the inheritance.

CDI 1501 MRMH on Amazon is $115
I got mine from Amazon and spoke to the tool seller. Turns out they were 40 miles away in Denver.

Back