What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Handheld CNC

Looks to me like you just have a follow the path via camera. Unless I am not seeing some actual computer motion of the router bit itself to adjust for handheld errors of the movement.

Looks to me like you just have a follow the path via camera. Unless I am not seeing some actual computer motion of the router bit itself to adjust for handheld errors of the movement.

It does just that. There's a circular window that you have to keep the path within as you move the base. The system will move the cutting head to compensate for misalignment within that circle to keep things accurate. If you wander outside the circle, it raises the cutting head.

I've been following this for a bit and it looks awesome! Pros -- less fixturing, not limited by the size of cnc bed. Cons -- have to use fiducial marker tape, not automated (can walk away from CNC).

I'm sure there are other pros/cons. Even so, I'd love to have one if/when the price comes down a bit. Maybe an opensource DIY version made using Raspberry Pi and OpenCV?

I've been following this for a bit and it looks awesome! Pros -- less fixturing, not limited by the size of cnc bed. Cons -- have to use fiducial marker tape, not automated (can walk away from CNC).

I'm sure there are other pros/cons. Even so, I'd love to have one if/when the price comes down a bit. Maybe an opensource DIY version made using Raspberry Pi and OpenCV?

The other big con is the speed. A cnc router can run much faster. It can also do 3d. But this thing is still pretty cool.

Back